Callum Hutchinson: Learning More About The Boy Behind The Lens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

How a small town photographer ended up at NYU and how he is working towards breaking into a world of fashion.

The Deets:

• Name: Callum Hutchinson
  • Hometown: Northport, Long Island
  • School: Tisch
  • Major: Photography

HCNYU: When did you first become interested in Photography?

CH: Freshman year of high school.

HCNYU: Why were you so interested in it?

CH: Um, my sister was very into photo her junior year of high school, and in 8th grade I would just watch her do photo shoots and became super interested with all of the aspects of photography. Eventually, I got her camera my freshman year and just started taking pictures – they were horrible! But you have to start somewhere I guess.

HCNYU: When did you realize you wanted photography to be your career?

CH: Honestly, when I realized I couldn’t do anything else. I’m kidding, but seriously I just knew I would never want to ever be confined to an office or ever be doing paper work. I always knew I wanted to do something creative and I didn’t really know what that was until I started applying to schools. Photography makes me so happy. So, at the end of the day, I knew the only way I was going to have a fulfilled, long-lasting career was if I pursue a major in photography.

HCNYU: Why did you choose NYU?

CH: I chose NYU for so many reasons. When I visited the school, the student work was very inspiring and made me excited to work hard to achieve their level of accomplishment. Also, just being in the city as a fashion photographer is the ideal place to begin networking and getting ready to work on a career. And obviously the program here is amazing. It’s so personalized and I really feel like they are getting me ready to work in the industry. NYU is basically my dream school.

HCNYU: What is the hardest part about learning photography?

CH: It would have to be finding a personal style and just always trying new things to shoot. Staying inspired is actually the hardest part I guess, a lot of artists struggle with that.

HCNYU: What your dream for a future career?

CH: My dream would be to shoot for Vogue, W magazine, Vanity Fair. I want to break into the fashion industry by being a fine art, fashion editorial photographer.

HCNYU: Who are your photographer idols?

CH: Oh my god. I have so many. Gregory Crewdson, Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, Robert Mapplethorpe and Annie Leibovitz.

Check out some of Callum’s work below:

Follow Callum on Instagram: @callumhutchinson (personal) and @callumhutchinsonphoto (professional)

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein