Broadway Takes Over Times Square for Annual Free Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Where can you see superheroes, cheerleaders, orphans, and turn-of-the-century newsboys together in New York City?

Once again, Times Square was shut down for the 20th Annual Broadway on Broadway. The free concert kicked off the fall Broadway season with performances from both upcoming and current productions.

TODAY Show c-host Kathie Lee Gifford hosted the concert which was sponsored by The Broadway League and The Times Square Alliance.

“In an increasingly virtual world, live performances like Broadway become more important than ever as a way to give people a direct powerful and personal experience,” said President of the Times Square Alliance, Tim Tompkins. Broadway on Broadway is an effort of the organization to attract not only theater aficionados, but also to lure more casual fans with free performances from some of the hottest shows.

Thousands of Broadway fans crowed the blocks between 46th & 47th streets between Broadway and Seventh Avenue for the show which featured performances by such highly acclaimed musicals as Chicago, Mammia Mia!, SPIDER-MAN: Turn Off The Dark, and this year’s Tony Award winner for Best Musical, Once. New hits Bring It On: The Musical and Newsies also performed. Musicals set to debut this season such as Annie, Elf, Motown: The Musical, and Scandalous: The Life and Trials of Aimee Semple McPherson made special appearances and gave the audience a sneak-peak at what can be expected on Broadway this season.

One of the most anticipated events of the afternoon was the highly acclaimed finale. Season two of SMASH is currently filming in New York City in preparations for a midseason premiere in 2012-13. Fans who lined the streets in the hopes of seeing one of their favorite Bombshell cast member were treated to a little glimpse of what’s to come next season.

Broadway on Broadway may have celebrated a milestone anniversary this year, but The Broadway League has no intention to stop now.

“As we celebrate the 20th Broadway on Broadway, it’s thrilling to know that multiple generations have no experienced our live outdoor concert at the crossroads of the world,” said executive director of The Broadway League, Charlotte St. Martin.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.