Blog it Out: The Top 5 NYU Bloggers You Have to Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Before Facebook, and even before Myspace, there were blogs. Citizen journalism was founded in the early 2000s before I could even beat level one of the Lilo & Stitch Sandwich Stack game on Disney.com.

Xanga welcomed thirteen year olds blogging about their trip to the mall (#HOLLISTERhaul!!), and Blogger witnessed a new rise in fashionistas looking to share their style advice and Youtube tutorials.

Today, a person can make a living off a of blog advertisements. If you have something worthwhile to say on any topic – whether it’s food, travel, or beauty products – all you have to do is purchase a domain and you’re set.

Now, this creates the problem that anyone with a computer can portray him or herself as an expert in a certain field. If you’ve ever scoured the web for good reading material and only come across one or two worthwhile blogs to read, you’re not doing anything wrong. It’s difficult to find blogs that are well maintained, frequently updated, and actually offer material that your favorite magazine or website cannot.

Cue NYU bloggers. In a city that is immersed in a media-centric atmosphere, our school is filled with aspiring journalists, dedicated foodies, and girls with killer style. I know that Buzzfeed list-icles are addicting, but you should probably check out these awesome blogs by your peers before you overdose in gifs of cute puppies and Mean Girl quotes.

1. The girl who brings LA vibes to New York City: Kelsey Nyguen (LS ’17)

Meet Kelsey, the Disney-obsessed, Harper’s Bazaar intern with flexible style. She’s no amateur when it comes to blogging – she’s been hitting the keyboard and creating boho chic outfits since she was just a wee 9th grader in high school. Her blog, Runaway in LA, is basically a style bible for any Teen Vogue worshipper or Coachella chick. If you need some closet inspiration, look no further than her Pinterest-worthy maxi dresses, retro sunnies, and to-die-for kimonos.

1. The girl who gives awesome dating advice to twentysomethings: Kayla Keegan (CAS ’15)

If you recognize this URL, it’s because it belongs to HerCampus NYU’s wonderful Love and Relationships editor! A senior majoring in Journalism and History, Kayla has a lot of experience in the love department. Besides being a current intern at Redbook Magazine, she’s also walked the halls of Seventeen, Cosmopolitan, and Sumo Skinny. It’s safe to say she knows what we ladies want, and she goes to extensive lengths to share it. Her blog, Love&Leisure, is frequently updated with hilarious advice, whether it be how to take the perfect Instagram pic or realize that the guy you’re with is an absolute jerk (it had to be said). Her most recent series, “Tinderella,” shares all of the juicy details of her adventures blind dating Tinder dudes in the city. Yeah, you know you want to read this.

1. The dude who’s perfected bartending: Daniel Yeom (Gallatin ’15)

Put down your mojitos ladies, this Gallatin junior has some serious drinks to mix up for you. A previous dining editor at WSN and a current host at the NoMad, his dining and drink expertise will be your go-to guide for Saturday nights out. His new blog, BestThingWeAte.com (previously adapted from Carlyle Pub), will offer up unique DIY drinks and reviews of the trendiest bars and restaurant in towns. The most exciting part? He’s going to have a variety of writers (aka fellow food enthusiasts) also contributing to the blog. Needless to say, you’ll definitely know where to go next time you need to chow down on BBQ ribs and sip fruity cocktails.

1. The girl who dropped everything to travel the world: Morgan Noll (Gallatin ’17)

You’ve probably never sat in your room twiddling your thumbs thinking, ‘Gee the city is soooo boring.’ After reading Morgan’s blog, Mapped by Morgan, you might change your mind. 

Taking a seven-month break off from NYU to travel the world, Morgan’s blog follows her adventures every stop along the way. Just a quick scroll through her blog and you’ll be drooling over pictures of Dutch pancakes smothered in butter and powered sugar, learning what its like to make goat cheese in the Pyrenees Mountains, and imagining yourself staying in rustic hostels in the Irish countryside. Needless to say, Morgan’s blog chronicles the badass expedition we all wish we had the guts to take.

1. Two girls with large appetites and a knack for photography: Lindsay Johnson (Steinhardt ’17) and Gabriela Youniss (Stern ’17)

There are a lot of foodies in NYC – that we already know. I mean, what greater city to be an advocate of Instagram food porn in than New York? Gabriela and Lindsay bring a certain type of sophistication to birthday cake bagels and shaved ice cream, though. They ditch the iPhone for a high-res camera while they eat their way through the city, and I have to say, the results are glorious. You’ve never seen a latte look so pretty.

Next time you need a restaurant review or a cool place to bring visiting guests (or you know, anytime you’re just hungry for gelato), turn to their blog New York Bites for stellar recommendations.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein 
Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.