This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s Spooky Season! The month of October has finally arrived, and we can all get out our jack-o-lanterns and pull our dusty skeletons out of the closet. Halloween is coming up in just a few weeks. To get ready, we need to watch all of the classic scary movies. Here a few movies you can watch on Disney+ and Hulu. 

Halloweentown (Disney+)

​This 1998 Halloween comedy classic starring Kimberly J. Brown, Debbie Reynolds, Joey Zimmerman, and Judith Hoag isn’t one to miss. This scary but funny family fantasy follows three children going into another world in which supernatural creatures roam freely. Don’t miss watching this Halloween classic on Disney+. 

Hocus Pocus (Disney+)

The best trio of sisters is back in time for Halloween! Spend your Halloween watching the Sanderson sisters try to reinstate their place in modern society, using their witch powers to get rid of anyone in their way, including Dani, Allison, Max, and Binx. Listen to Winifred, and her sisters sing “I Put A Spell On You,” this Halloween, and try not to fall prey to their manipulative magic! 

The Haunted Mansion (Disney+) 

Watch the Disney comedy/fantasy classic The Haunted Mansion starring Eddie Murphy and get in a few hearty laughs this spooky season. Based on Disneyland’s iconic ride, this movie following a real-estate agent and his family’s vacation to this sinister house is not one to miss. Starring Marsha Thomason, Terrence Stamp, Jennifer Tilly, and Wallace Shawn, this hilarious family comedy will set everyone in the mood for Halloween.

Pet Sematary (Hulu) 

Based on the novel by Stephen King, this horror/thriller film is the perfect terrifying pick for a Halloween scary-movie night. Starring Jason Clarke, Amy Seimetz, John Lithgow, and Jeté Laurence, this film follows a family who moves to a new house with a haunted cemetery near their property. This film will evoke screaming (and possibly crying) and is perfect for any spooky movie night. 

Behind You (Hulu) 

This horror/thriller on Hulu just came out this year and is a recent addition to the collection of Halloween-appropriate horror movies out there. The film follows a young girl who releases a demon that previously haunted other members of her family. The movie stars Addy Miller, Elizabeth Birkner, and others and is perfect for a Halloween movie night. 

The Addams Family (2019 Hulu) 

This animated version of the classic 1990’s film adaptations of the popular cartoon The Addams Family is now available to stream on Hulu for any family to watch in preparation for the spooky holiday. The film has a cast list filled with Hollywood stars, including Chloë Grace Moretz, Charlize Theron, Finn Wolfhard, Oscar Isaac, Nick Kroll, Allison Janey, Bette Midler, and Snoop Dogg. Don’t miss out on this hilarious, adorable adaptation of everyone’s favorite creepy, dark family. 

Stephen King’s Children of the Corn (Hulu)   

Stephen King’s classic 1984 horror/thriller film The Children of the Corn (based on the short story of the same name) will make anyone jump in their skin. Starring Linda Hamilton, Peter Horton, John Franklin, R.G. Armstrong, and more, this cult-classic is perfect to get anyone into the spirit of Halloween. Go get some popcorn and stream this terrifying movie on Hulu. 

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.