Best Quick and Affordable Foods at Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New York may be the city of dreams, but it’s no secret that it’s not the most college-budget-friendly place to be, especially in terms of dining options. Luckily, Trader Joe’s has got both your taste buds and wallet covered, with anything from healthy breakfasts to indulgent comfort food. Plus, they have multiple locations close to campus and most NYU dorms. When you walk into a Trader Joe’s, you truly hit the jackpot: you can stock up on all of your cravings without breaking the bank! Here is a round-up of some of our favorite foods that can only be found at Trader Joe’s.

Frozen Multigrain Waffles, $1.99

For a quick, filling, and delicious breakfast, check out the frozen multigrain waffles. Pop them straight from the freezer into your toaster and enjoy them with your favorite toppings, such as fresh fruit or a drizzle of honey. Even though we’re all in a rush during the morning, we don’t have to limit ourselves to instant oatmeal and cereal bars.

Unsweetened Organic Açaí Puree Packets, $4.49

Forget about those $10.00 bowls! With these packets, you can blend up your own açaí bowl and enjoy it in the comfort of your own home. Mix in your favorite fruits and liquid of your choice, and be sure to add granola or coconut flakes as toppings for an Instagram-worthy flare. These packets are also great for spicing up your everyday banana smoothies.

Mandarin Orange Chicken, $4.99

It is no surprise that the TJ’s Mandarin Orange Chicken has gotten so much hype online. This meal satisfies your Chinese take-out craving without having to pay for delivery. Crunchy, sweet, and tangy, you will get an amazing meal and still have plenty of money leftover for dessert.

Pork Gyoza Potstickers, $2.99

Is your Chinese craving still missing something? No worries, TJ’s is here to the rescue. Pork potstickers are a super versatile option that can be served as an appetizer, on the side, or as your entrée if you’re in a pinch. Serve with soy sauce for an extra boost of flavor, sit back, and enjoy.

Butternut Squash Ravioli, $2.99

This gem will be a life-saver for nights when you get home only to discover that you never took your chicken out of the freezer to defrost. Pop these in salted, boiling water for 3 minutes, pour your favorite pasta sauce on top, and, voilà, you have yourself a restaurant-quality, delicious, and warm meal just for you.

Mac n’ Cheese, $2.99

Behold: the ultimate comfort food for an unbeatable price. Heat up your mac n’ cheese, either in the oven or in your microwave, in order to melt the grated cheese sitting on top of the macaroni. Then, get your camera ready and stir – the sight of your dinner will surely leave your social media followers with a serious case of FOMO (and your wallet will give you a pat on the back for all the money you saved!)

There you have it: a list of the best, most affordable food items hidden on the shelves of Trader Joe’s. There’s no need to limit yourself to endless instant ramen dinners. Instead, you can stock up on delicious food to indulge in when you just don’t have the time (or budget!) for constant restaurant runs or take out orders. We know we don’t!

Images: 1/ 2/ 3 / 4 / 5

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com