This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

You may never have noticed, but autumn is like Hollywood’s own Chinese New Year. With the cool breeze and falling leaves comes the influx of the year’s shining frontrunners of fortune just in time for award season. Thus, with the fall weather comes the quintessential binge watching of age-old favorites, the cozying up on a Friday night to watch Disney’s Halloweentown, and midnight escapades to see the newly-released horror film.

If you are looking for the best way to get in the autumn spirit, here is a list of movies that you can expect to be coming to a theater near you this season.

IT: Chapter 2

Release Date: 9/6/19

Defeated by members of the Losers’ Club, the evil clown Pennywise returns 27 years later to terrorize the town of Derry, Maine, once again. Now adults, the childhood friends have long since gone their separate ways. But when people start disappearing, Mike Hanlon calls the others home for one final stand. Damaged by scars from the past, the united Losers must conquer their deepest fears to destroy the shape-shifting Pennywise — now more powerful than ever.

The Joker

Release Date: 10/4/19

Failed comedian Arthur Fleck encounters violent thugs while wandering the streets of Gotham City dressed as a clown. Disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as The Joker.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 

Release Date: 10/18/19

Maleficent and her goddaughter Aurora begin to question the complex family ties that bind them as they are pulled in different directions by impending nuptials, unexpected allies, and dark new forces at play.

Rambo: Last Blood

Release Date: 9/20/19

Vietnam veteran and drifter John J. Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) wanders into a small Washington town in search of an old friend, but is met with intolerance and brutality by the local sheriff, Will Teasle (Brian Dennehy). When Teasle and his deputies restrain Rambo, he flashes back to his time as a prisoner of war and unleashes his fury on the officers. He narrowly escapes the manhunt, but it will take his former commander (Richard Crenna) to save the hunters from the hunted.

More Coming Soon (But, Much Later):

The fall has so much to offer when it comes to new movie releases. 

Charlie’s Angels

Release Date: 11/15/19

When a systems engineer blows the whistle on a dangerous technology, Charlie’s Angels from across the globe are called into action, putting their lives on the line to protect society.

Ford v. Ferrari

Release Date: 11/15/19

American automotive designer Carroll Shelby and fearless British race car driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary vehicle for the Ford Motor Co. Together, they plan to compete against the race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.

Frozen II

Release Date: 11/20/19

Elsa the Snow Queen and her sister Anna embark on an adventure far away from the kingdom of Arendelle. They are joined by friends, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven.

Star Wars: Episode 9

Release Date: 12/20/19

The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more as Rey, Finn, and Poe Dameron’s journey continues. With the power and knowledge of generations behind them, the final battle commences.

Cats

Release Date: 12/20/19

From Academy Award winner Tom Hooper, director of Les Misérables and The King’s Speech. Based on the legendary Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

We hope this guide gets you excited to hit the movie theaters this fall to enjoy some fantastic films! Happy watching!

Junior at New York University, studying communications and business. Follow her style page @itsautsams.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.