Style > Beauty

Best Drugstore Products to Keep Your Skin Moisturized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Combating this never-ending winter season unfortunately requires more than just wearing puffer coats and six different layers everyday. Our skin is constantly exposed to freezing temperatures and harsh winds here in New York City, which can quickly turn a smooth complexion into a skin nightmare. Here are some great drugstore options to help your skin thrive despite the winter weather!

Firstly, it’s important to remember that everybody should be using a moisturizer. A common misconception is that oily skin should be left alone, as many believe that doing so will prevent unwanted breakouts. However, depriving your skin of much-needed moisture actually makes it produce more oil in its attempt to compensate for what it is lacking. Try out different options and find out which formula works best for you; an oil-free option might be the perfect place to start! We absolutely love Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin; it’s fragrance-free, controls shine, and you won’t ever have to worry about it causing a breakout.

Clean and Clear 60 Second Shower Mask

Before you moisturize, you need to get rid of all the dirt and dry skin that as accumulated on your face throughout the day, and exfoliation is the best way to accomplish this. Don’t worry, this step doesn’t have to be time consuming. This Clean and Clear shower mask will gently exfoliate your face and brighten your complexion while optimizing your time in the shower. Win-win!

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer

If you wear makeup, you should always prep your skin first to make sure that your foundation and concealer don’t accentuate any dry patches. If you tend to go barefaced, it’s still important to keep your skin healthy, protected, and ready to face the world. Either way, using a lightweight, daily moisturizer like this one from Aveeno is ideal for almost everyone. It’s not too intense or greasy, but still gets the job done… and the SPF is already included!

Heritage Store Rosewater Spray with Atomizer

For a quick, midday pick-me-up, we recommend you reach for a rosewater spray. It’s equal parts hydrating and calming. You can find this super affordable option at Whole Foods, and a couple of sprays will leave your skin satisfied and dewy. Plus, when has the scent of roses ever made anyone’s day worse?

Nivea Creme

Sometimes, simple is best. If your skin is having a harder time dealing with the weather, this old school Nivea Creme will bring all of its moisture and glow back! Since this is a thicker, more intense moisturizer, apply it at night before bed and your complexion will be ready to go when your alarm goes off the next morning.

These are the products that we here at Her Campus NYU know and love, but we since everybody’s skin is different, we urge you to test out different options to find out what works best for your own complexion. We wish you the best of luck in finding your perfect moisturizer!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com