The Best Drugstore and High-End Concealers on the Market to Cover Dark Circles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The struggle to find a concealer that will completely hide those dark circles under your eyes is real. Sleep deprivation, parties, homework, and genetics all make the shadows even harder to cover up each morning. It seems that no concealer can be perfect at everything. For example, most concealers accomplish one task, like brightening, but give you a horrible white cast under your eyes in photos.

Don’t give up hope yet: the perfect concealer does exist, and so do others that come very close. The market for concealers has drastically improved in the past few years. Now, countless brands at high-end retailers and your local pharmacy make concealers specifically formulated for under your eyes, not just for that pesky pimple that you need to conceal before walking out into the world. Here’s a round-up of some of the best.

1. Tarte Shape Tape Concealer $24 (Available only at Ulta)

This may arguably be the best concealer on the market. It really is magical, and anyone from the beauty community on YouTube would likely agree. This concealer comes in 14 different shades, so it brightens without being too white or too peachy. It’s creamy, doesn’t crease, and never cakes. Plus, Tarte is an environmentally-conscious brand, which means their products don’t contain harmful chemicals.

2. Kat Von D Lock-it Concealer Creme $26

This concealer, which comes in 21 shades, can be purchased at Sephora. With a newly-improved formula, this concealer offers medium-to-full coverage, while also being velvety and brightening. It dries down to look like a powder. This means that sometimes the product can settle into fine lines, so it may not work for those with drier skin. Nonetheless, this is an outstanding product and it is worth giving a shot.

3. It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under-Eye Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer $24

Bye Bye Undereye is used by many celebrities, like Nina Dobrev. It is full-coverage, moisturizing, and actually stays on all day. A concealer with lasting power is hard to find, but this one certainly does the job. Any downsides? This concealer is very thick and only comes in 4 shades. It can be purchased at either Sephora or Ulta.

4. Maybelline Better Skin Concealer $6-9 (varies depending on store)

Maybelline makes some of the best concealers available at the drugstore; no other brand can compare. This Better Skin concealer is a recent addition to Maybelline’s repertoire, and it is available in 6 shades. It is medium-to-full coverage, nourishing, and brightens over time thanks to Actyl C, which is a powerful antioxidant. Plus, you never have to worry about it leaving a white cast under your eyes.

5. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles $6-9 (varies depending on store)

This is truly an “all-in-one” concealer. It offers light-to-medium coverage, has a sponge tip for easy application, and never creases. It is also blends in quickly and comes in 6 different shades, including an illuminating one. The only problem is that the formula is on the thinner side, so you might have to re-apply throughout the day. It can be purchased at CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Target, etc.

6. NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer $6

This brand-new concealer comes in 20 shades, so every skin tone can find their perfect match. It’s full-coverage, and very long-lasting because it is waterproof. Plus, you can’t beat the price!

7. CoverGirl Outlast All-day Soft Touch Concealer $9-13 (varies depending on store)

Also a new launch, this product promises long-lasting coverage, perfect for those who have a busy schedule. With a built-in applicator, this creamy concealer will be a dream to put on. It comes in 4 colors and can be purchased at any drugstore or Ulta. Hopefully it lives up to our expectations!

8. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer $28

A buildable and high-coverage concealer, this product is unique because it dries completely matte. With a weightless finish, you won’t even remember you are wearing makeup, and it blends in flawlessly with your natural skin tone while color correcting any darkness. This comes in an impressive 11 different shades and can be found at Ulta or Sephora.

9. Too Faced Born This Way Naturally Radiant Concealer $28

A super-hydrating, full-coverage, and oil-free concealer that improves the appearance of your under-eye area while lasting all day. Formulated with coconut water and hyaluronic acid, it won’t crease, making it a wonderful option for those who need an extra boost of hydration during the colder, drier months. With 10 shade options, this product can be purchased at Sephora or Ulta.

10. Smashbox Studio Skin 24 Hr Wear Waterproof Concealer $25

This concealer is formulated specifically for photo shoots, so you know you are always going to look your best. It will cover even the darkest of under-eye circles, plus any blemishes. It’s also oil-free, so it’s terrific for those who have acne-prone skin and want to avoid clogged pores. Available in 9 colors, it can be found at Sephora and Ulta.

11. Laura Mercier High Coverage Concealer For Under Eye $30

This product has been on the market for ages and has earned a stellar reputation; it has been praised by a multitude of makeup artists and beauty YouTube vloggers. It depuffs, moisturizes, and covers dark circles in one application. It comes in 12 shades and can be found at Sephora.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com