Best Book to Snuggle With This Weekend: You Deserve a Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s April, which means that we’re all running around like crazy people trying to get ready for finals, summer internships, and the myriad of other end-of-semester responsibilities. It can be hard to find time to relax and just enjoy the moment when, as college students, we’re constantly pushed to focus on the future. When I start to feel overwhelmed by the stress that comes with planning for that future, I always turn to one of my favorite books of all time: You Deserve A Drink: Boozy Misadventures and Tales of Debauchery, by Mamrie Hart.

Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

If you’ve never heard of her, Mamrie Hart is the friend that you never knew you needed. She is a viral YouTube sensation known for her channel You Deserve A Drink, a web show in which she makes special cocktails while dazzling you with puns in honor of a celebrity she thinks deserves a drink. Her book is a hilariously honest take on her past before YouTube fame – let me tell you, these stories will make you laugh hard.

One of the reasons why I love Hart is that she is an unabashedly confident woman who knows who she is, what she stands for, and what she wants. In the book, she tells stories about her college days and the time she spent living in New York City. Every story is honest, gutsy, and funny. I always come back to this book in particular because the stories in it remind me that living my life to the fullest in the present is just as important as planning for the future. Hart’s unbridled confidence inspires me to believe in myself. If you’re looking for a book that will make you laugh out loud, look no further: You Deserve A Drink is one heck of a ride, and one hell of a good time.

Sangita is a senior at New York University and an HCNYU Campus Correspondent. She is absolutely obsessed with TV shows and movies and is also a comedy lover and avid comic book reader and collector (her current comic-book crush is Jessica Jones). Most of all, Sangita is a fangirl who is passionate about representation in all forms of media. In her spare time, Sangita likes to explore New York City, binge-watch political satire, and write sketch comedy.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.