Ben Platt: From Broadway and Acapella to Solo Albums and National Tours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

After he graced our screens in 2012’s Aca-awesome musical comedy Pitch Perfect, we could tell that Ben Platt was going to be a star. His magical voice entranced us in the blockbuster, meaning it was no surprise when he landed the lead role in Broadway’s Dear Evan Hansen in July 2015. One Tony Award and one extraordinary Broadway run later, Platt moves away from the stage and screen to find his own voice – and it is just as magical as we expected.

Platt filled the space between Dear Evan Hansen and his upcoming solo career with stunning twitter covers of chart-topping songs like 5SOS’s “Youngblood.” He kept his beautiful voice in our minds, and anticipation was high as we waited for him to announce his next project.

Platt released his debut single, “Bad Habit,” as a look into his first album, Sing to Me Instead, released in March of 2019. The heartfelt ballad accompanies a video of Platt roaming the city, singing of a lost love. The single shows off his immense range and a mastery of song writing. With intense high notes dipped with low, mellow melodies, the song encapsulates the dynamic talents that Platt possesses.

At the end of his debut video, Platt shows himself in a photography gallery, belting while surrounded by pictures of him and the city in black and white film. The video closes with Platt getting into a bed and entering one of the photos plastered on the walls. The ending seems to come full circle, but Platt surprisingly continues the story with his next single and equally heartbreaking video for “Ease my Mind.”

Platt surrounds his listeners with the old-timey melodies speaking of the blessings of a loved one. The video shows Platt with co-star Charlie Carver as he opens up a deeper and more personal part of himself and his sexuality. The duo partakes in lighthearted and loving black and white scenes as Platt sings of the love he feels at that moment. It becomes clear that Carver is the mysterious photographer who was the cause of Platt’s previous heartbreak in “Bad Habit.” Platt wakes up in the scene that Carver creates as the two live through the photographs he takes. This short video beautifully explores both the highs and lows of a relationship. This song touches the soul as if it has been a classic love song for years and years. Unfortunately, as the story ends, the two do not seem to meet eye to eye, which leads us to Platt’s third single, “Grow as We Go.”

“Grow as We Go” talks of last efforts to save a sinking relationship. The video shows two dancers acting out the tumultuous relationship that Platt sings about. The video ends with Platt in tears, most likely with the listener joining in as well. With his innovative trilogy, Platt reveals a new part of himself that the songwriting process allows. He establishes himself as a writer, a performer, and a videographer. Fans get to see Platt in a whole new dimension as he uses music to share his experiences of love and loss in a deeply personal way.

With appearances on late night shows and a special performance with James Corden, Platt transfers his experiences to stage and proves himself to be as much of a singer/songwriter as a Broadway performer and actor. He has been playing his first shows around the country to adorning crowds, showcasing his wide array of talents. In the full length album, Platt shares more experiences about family and getting older. His music speaks to a wide range of audiences as his experiences are as relatable as his voice is irresistible.

Platt’s first album proves him as a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. As he continues to play more shows and write more music, the possibilities for Platt’s career are endless. Whether he returns to Broadway, acting, or continues to produce music, fans can guarantee greatness from any project Platt takes on.

Image Sources:

1/ 2

Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.