Be My Valentine NYC: Celebrate Valentine’s Day in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s February; and we all know what that means.  Short month?  Please.  Leap year?  Nope, and even if it were, so what.  Groundhog day?  What rock did you join us from under?  It’s Valentine’s Day!  Well, it’s the week preceding the weekend before Valentine’s Day.  Time to start finalizing those plans!
            Listen, I know this is a touchy subject.  I’ve seen Valentine’s Day advocates and voodoo dolls, and those who advocate Valentine’s Day for the sole use of voodoo dolls.  We’ve all been there.  And we’ve all been obnoxious about it.  But this isn’t about rehashing the past!  Your future as an independent woman living in New York City, famed for gaudy lovers around this time of year, starts NOW.  YOUR campus is the City of Lights, the City of Love, but most importantly, New York City!  So I’m going to help you take advantage of all V-Day opportunities.  Whether you’re staying in to snuggle with your man, looking to relive that picture-perfect moment you’ve seen in the movies, or staying away from men all together for a night out with your girls, we’ve got you covered!

GOING OUT: To all my ladies looking to the city to provide the right mood: there is literally no better place you can be in the country.  There are some staple activities and restaurants that are a MUST when looking for that perfect romantic moment.  I know you can fill in the rest of your evening with cozy ristorantes and romantic French bistros: there is an immeasurable amount, all at UrbanSpoon’s fingertips.  But here’s a list of what your man should be dishing out quality cash for:
-A good view! It’s unbelievable how beautiful skyscrapers become when they create the perfect skyline. We’ve all seen “An Affair to Remember…” No?  Well then, you must have seen “Sleepless in Seattle:” go to the Empire State Building! Or, if you’re looking for something a little less-famous and a little more romantic, check out Rockefeller Center’s very own Top of the Rock, which provides just as stunning views.  And while you’re there, you must go ice-skating at Rockefeller Center’s ice rink! Maybe you’ll even see a proposal or two.
-Central Park alone at night=ehh, use the buddy system.  Horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park=the be-all end-all of romance.

-Nothing gets those aphrodisiacs flowing (or a sweet tooth more satisfied) than a decadent dessert.  The Upper East Side sports an incredibly romantic restaurant with a killer reputation for dessert: Serendipity.  If you plan on staying downtown, fear not. Max Brenner’s very-own chocolate factory, at Union Square, gives a sensual twist on classic nostalgia.  If you do nothing else, you HAVE to do dessert!

STAYING IN: Let’s be real–this is what I look forward to the most on Valentine’s Day.  In a city so crowded, with millions of people trying to complete that list above, this is a sure-bet in the romance department.  Tested and approved, here’s my take on the perfect night in.
-The perfect rom-com is a must. Remember, friends, he has to enjoy this with you. I give you five movies sure to put a smile on both of your faces (and believe it or not, this list was actually, for the most part, hand-picked by the boyfriend): 50 First Dates, Serendipity, A Lot Like Love, When Harry Met Sally, and, seriously, The 40-Year Old Virgin. Pop any of those into the DVD player.
-Did you ever play The Sims and note that flowers make the “atmosphere” level higher and thus more enjoyable? And your Sim becomes giddy? That’s how flowers work on Valentine’s Day. You can’t find arrangements like these at street markets and prices like this anywhere else: go to the Downtown Florist’s website for gorgeous rose bouquet+vase arrangements starting at $50.

-Did you read that prior blurb about dessert? Decadence? Aphrodisiacs? You don’t have to go out to enjoy some delicous treats. Cupcakeries such as Magnolia or Butter Lane are outstanding, and the latter even delivers. And who doesn’t love cupcakes??

GIRLS’ NIGHT OUT: Looking for something fun to do with your girls?  Here are some fabulous ideas for a great night out for all women.
-It starts out with an idea of a great night: Lucky Cheng’s. Did I mention that it’s a cabaret dinner theatre?!  Under-21s can enjoy the fun sans procured identification as long as you tell the reservationist (aka the person you call to make your reservation–fancy) when you book your show; times/location available at their website (www.planetluckychengs.com).  Did I mention that there is FREE KARAOKE after the last show of the night??

WANT TO MAKE THE NIGHT EXTRA SPECIAL?It’s not just about what you do or where you go.  Valentine’s Day cannot live on outward displays of money dispensing alone.  It’s all about that behind-the-scenes work that will really get your V-Day rolling.
-So you have your Valentine, and you want to make the night mean more than sight-seeing and stuffing your face. Remember what Valentine’s Day was like in grade school?  And how special you felt when you received a Valentine?  Bring back the joy: go to Papyrus and pick up a serious card for your man.

-And remember to Have a Fantastic Valentine’s Day!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.