This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

On October 30, 2020, the queen of pop, Ariana Grande, released her sixth studio album, Positions, and gifted fans with a pre-Halloween present.

Ariana Blow Kiss
Giphy

In recent years, my appreciation for Grande’s pop, hip-hop, and R&B infused music has grown tremendously. In middle school and high school, I listened to songs from her first album, Yours Truly, nearly every day on my bus ride home.

In my late teen years, I jammed to “successful” and “blazed” from Sweetener at parties with close friends. Just last year, I listened to all of the songs on thank u, next on a continuous loop for hours, feeling as confident as the Queen of England. 

It’s safe to say that I was really looking forward to the latest album’s drop. That Thursday night nearly a month ago, I had the countdown on her website pulled up on my computer, and waited until the very second the album came out. 

At midnight, I streamed the album in its entirety and I was instantly obsessed. In 14 tracks, Grande managed to mix in hints of pop, R&B, hip-hop, and a bit of soul. 

Before the album came out, I loved her single “Positions” and particularly liked the politically-charged music video that came with it. Posing as the first female commander-in-chief, Grande sang about how she could have the best of both worlds — be a boss in the White House and have a successful personal life. 

Once I listened to all of the tracks on the album, I came to appreciate the themes of self-love, confidence, relationships, and communication. My favorite songs from Positions that I’m still playing include “34+35,” “just like magic,” “love language,” “obvious,” and “pov.” 

The 1960s inspired looks showcased in the music videos for “Positions” and “34+35,” and the threads of feminism and personal growth weaved throughout the album, are particularly appealing.

In my view, all of Grande’s albums serve as diaries for specific phases of her life. I feel that much like thank u, next, Positions highlights how Grande has continued to achieve her dreams as a musician, and grow as a woman through her romantic relationships. 

Lyrics that I feel exemplify Grande’s growth include these lines from “just like magic” which are, “Good karma, my aesthetic/ Keep my conscience clear, that’s why I’m so magnetic/ Manifest it, I finessed it/ Take my pen and write some love/ That has to happen/ Just like magic.”

Some more particularly poignant lyrics from “pov” that embody Grande’s experience in relationships (and the experience of so many other women) are, “I wanna love me / The way that you love me/ Ooh, for all of my pretty and all of my ugly too/ I’d love to see me from your point of view. I wanna trust me/ The way that you trust me/ Ooh, ’cause nobody ever loved me like you do/ I’d love to see me from your point of view.”  

Overall, I loved Grande’s sixth studio album. I feel that she has continued to grow as an artist and musician, and I believe that her songs accurately reflect her life and experiences and in turn, the experiences of millions of women across the globe. 

Her music is relatable, stunningly beautiful, and completely unforgettable. Her lyrics and music wrapped my heart in a vice grip that refused to let go for days after first listening to the album and now, I’m not sure I want to ever stop listening to it. 

Do yourself a favor and ride the emotional rollercoaster that is Positions, and continue to take care of yourself and support other women during these tough times. 

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.