April Showers Bring May Flowers: NYC’s Best Events This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Spring is officially in full swing, and you know what that means: sunglasses, sundresses, and, of course, sunscreen! April is the month to celebrate YOU! And, if you have time between midterms and finals, make sure to take your self-care day to the max and visit one of the attractions below. From film festivals to David Bowie appreciation, this April pours out tons of fun-filled events.

Tribeca Film Festival (TFF) 

The Tribeca Film Festival is the perfect unification between the hub of NYC and the film industry. It’s basically the city’s version of Coachella; a crossroads between NYC life and culture, the Tribeca Film Festival is a must-see for all New Yorkers. In fact, NYU students have created films that have been showcased at TFF. Come out and explore great films and food with your friends from April 20 until April 29.

The films featured at the Tribeca Film Festival are distinguished for their riveting, modern themes and their budding directors. Founded in 2002 by Jane Rosenthal, Robert De Niro, and Craig Hatkoff in response to 9/11, the festival has since showcased narratives, documentaries, features, shorts, TV, and it even hosts talks, too. Genres include everything such as action, sci-fi, animation, and thrillers from a diverse group of directors.

Dates: From April 20th – April 29

Tickets: $12-$30

Student Discounts Available!

Frieze Art Fair

Frieze New York 2018 connects over 190 galleries from 30 different countries to exhibit the world’s most significant artists of our contemporary time. Commingled into the art fair is series of talks, and you can also taste food from NYC’s most prominent restaurants. Frieze New York is a hub of art and culture, and could most definitely satisfy one of your Expressive Culture credits.

What to watch out for: NYU’s own Professor Fred Moten in conversation with Sondra Perry, Hank Willis Thomas’ art in memory of the victims of gun violence, and Mira Schor’s reaction to President Trump.

Dates: May 3–6, 2018

Tickets: $12-$34 for Students/18-25 year olds

Student Discounts Available!

Sakura Matsuri Cherry Blossom Festival NYC

Brooklyn Botanic Garden honors the end of Hanam by showcasing their gorgeous cherry blossoms. Alongside these delicate flowers are attractions such as a Japanese tea room, an art gallery, and a mini flea market. Plus, there is an entertainment lineup filled with samurai sword masters, Taiko drummers, cosplay actors, stand-up comics, and dance parties.

Dates: April 28, 2018 to April 29, 2018

Tickets: $25 for students, $30 for general admission

Student Discounts Available!

“David Bowie Is

“David Bowie Is” is a touring exhibition that originated at the Contemporary Art museum in Chicago. The show began over five years ago and comes to its completion in NYC this upcoming July. This exhibition features more than 400 objects from the icon’s life, including his costumes and lyric sheets. It explores the creative process of the inspirational artist who revolutionized the way we see music and our identities. David Bowie, a legend as a musician and a social reformer, is seen through a more personal sense in this exhibition. This exhibition features over 60 custom-made costumes, including six designed by Freddie Burretti for Ziggy Stardust / 1980 Floor Show. There are 85 handwritten lyric sheets, drawings, sketches, oil paintings, music videos, television clips – anything to satisfy your David Bowie sweet tooth. We promise this exhibition won’t be boring, so be sure to mark your calendars. And just remember: tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming.

Dates: March 2nd to July 15th

Tickets: Students $12, General Admission $30.

Student Discounts Available!

We hope that this guide inspires you to fill up your spring agendas with tons of fun events! Happy Spring!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com