Album Review: Rihanna’s “Anti”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There are those undeniable facts which we learn at a young age and usually accept without much challenge: that our lovely earth is round (Sorry B.o.B), that guac is extra $$$ at Chipotle and finally, that Rihanna is incredible. BadGirl Riri, oh how we love you! And we’ve waited an exorbitant amount of time to hear you croon to us again. Alas, ANTI is here!

This is Rihanna–the Barbados native’s–eighth album. It’s fresh, interesting, oddly beautiful and charming at times, but a triumph nonetheless. I’ve listened to the WHOLE album to give you some thoughts on the songs themselves–the feels, the beat, how many times I’ve literally had the hair on my arms stand at attention, and have highlighted my favorites down below. RiRi, we’ve missed you. You are back, and you are TRULY the best. (No, I am not listening on $9,000 headphones like Ri is in the Insta she posted. The WOE.)

1. “Consideration” (feat. SZA) – The beat booms sonically right from start; it’s a beautiful and alluring beginning. Ri sounds amazing–almost siren-like. This is a distinctly bada** sound that will be an important infusion of the beginning of Anti. SZA sounds fantastic as well; she possesses a unique voice that pairs gorgeously, effortlessly and quite fluidly with Rihanna’s.

2. “Kiss It Better” – There’s this stunning rock guitar entrance into the song that just makes you happy, nostalgic, dare I say, peacefully elated?? It’s a definitive slow jam that I want to listen to on repeat…it’s like a pretty daydream.

3. “Work” – OHMYGOD. This is the song…this is it. Rihanna and Drake…just TAKE ME AWAY. This is a song to dance vigorously to, walk to campus in a hurried pace to and even study to. Just WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK.

4. “Love on the Brain” – I feel like I can just slow dance to this…It’s just so incredibly lovely and charming, a unique shade of vintage romance that infuses the second half of the album. Reminiscent to those classic love songs that make everything seem so rosy.

5. “Higher” – Okay…this is truly my favorite song. Rihanna sounds fantastic, and the melody is sweet and happy. It is short, sweet and UGHHHH AMAZING. This is a definitive love anthem for millennials everywhere.

Stream Anti on Tidal or buy it on iTunes. Enjoy! :)

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.