Life > Experiences

Actress Lisa Ann Walter Supports Teachers In BIC’s Back To School Supply Closet Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Countless reports continue to show that a majority of teachers are spending out of pocket money on school supplies. To help with this ongoing problem, BIC launched their “Back to School Supply Closet” interactive pop-up event in NYC—which Her Campus NYU attended—where teachers could receive free stationary and school supplies for the upcoming academic year. BIC partner and Emmy-winning actress Lisa Ann Walter acted as a “hall monitor” and guided teachers to the supply closet where they could fill up their complimentary BIC string bags. 

In addition to the supply closet, the pop-up event also had an area where consumers could write their teachers thank you notes and record personalized videos and help fulfill teachers’ wish lists via the Kids in Need Foundation. The event helped get over 15,000 free stationary supplies in the hands of over 350 teachers. For those interested in contributing, the campaign is still open until the end of August. Each teacher supported through the program will receive two boxes filled with a semester’s worth of supplies for 24 students. 

Once stocked up on free supplies, consumers and teachers had the chance to meet Lisa Ann Walter and take pictures with her. Despite the line, Walter took the time to individually thank each teacher for their work and even granted personalized video requests so fans could show their loved ones. It was such a cool experience to meet Walter in person and thank her for doing such a charitable act, especially since the event was on her birthday! (Not to mention, Chessy was one of my favorite characters from “The Parent Trap” so that added to the special moment). 

“I’m thrilled to partner with BIC for their back-to-school campaign, as supporting teachers is something that’s near and dear to me,” said Lisa Ann Walter. “Too many teachers are covering the cost of school supplies for their students and this initiative helps support our educators.”   

Daughter of a school teacher herself, Walter knows how much teachers put into their work and how much out of pocket money they spend. Overall, the event was a fun and memorable time as it contributed to aiding teachers while getting some free school supplies such as Walter’s personal favorite pen

I’d like to thank Taylor Gerard and Olivia Lieberman from M Booth for inviting me to the Back to School Supply Closet pop-up experience where I received so many beautiful pens and markers for the upcoming school year. It was such an amazing moment to meet Lisa Ann Walter and talk to her about the event while representing HCNYU. Excited to see you both at more events, and I can’t wait to start using my BIC pens! 

Sabrina Blandon is an English major at NYU with a minor in creative writing. Avid reader herself and literary advocate, she has interviewed over 60 authors from New York Times bestselling ones to debut authors for Her Author Spotlight blog series for Her Campus NYU and Her Campus Hofstra. She loves exploring everything New York City has to offer and is a major foodie.