removing makeup
removing makeup
Original photo by Gabrielle Chua
Style > Beauty

A Review of My Favorite Drugstore Makeup Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Recently, I have been using more drugstore makeup. Not only are they more attainable from most drugstores near me but they are also significantly breaking my bank less which I can really appreciate as a college student. Through a few trials and tribulations, I’ve found a few staples that I’ve incorporated into my makeup routine. Here is a list of brands and products I really recommend giving a try!

(PSA: All of these products are/claim to be cruelty free!)

NYX Cosmetics

NYX is a brand that is accessible from a range of stores, from Ulta to CVS! Not only is NYX cruelty free, but they also offer vegan options.

NYX Born To Glow Medium Coverage 12H Radiant Under Eye Concealer

This concealer is definitely my go to. I use it every morning to help cover up my dark circles. It is a very blendable and buildable formula that stays looking fresh for hours in my experience. Creasing is minimal and at the end of the day when it’s time for me to take off my makeup, sometimes I don’t want to because of how beautiful it still looks after a long day out.  

NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer

This primer is another one of my everyday go-to options. I use it all over my face and under/on my eyes before using concealer. Since I have oily/combo skin I love that it doesn’t dry out my skin but also doesn’t leave it oily! I find my makeup sits better on my face after using this primer, not to mention this product is also vegan!

Flower Beauty

I discovered Flower Beauty by Drew Barrymore in my local CVS! Little did I know I’d be discovering my favorite makeup product!

Flower Blush Bomb Color Drops

I would argue that blush is one of the most popular makeup products nowadays. I use this blush bomb religiously with or without a full face of makeup. With a light blendable formula, I’m able to build the exact intensity I want. I also find that the pigment is not fast to fade throughout the day. I also like that the product comes in a range of cool or warm tones for different skin tones. Personally, I loved using the color Melon (coral) for the summer and now love Bubbly (cool pink) for the winter!

ELF Cosmetics

ELF is another brand that is pretty accessible for purchase at a wide range of stores! Not only is ELF cruelty free but ALL of their products are also vegan!

Elf 16 HR Camo Concealer & Elf Hydrating Camo Concealer Satin Finish

Personally, since I have oily/combo skin, I use the 16hr Camo Concealer. They have different options for different skin types. Honestly, I got this product because I’d seen so many TikToks comparing it to Tarte’s Shape Tape. I have to agree that its formula on my skin did remind me of Shape Tape. It’s longwearing and has buildable coverage.

Ardell Lashes

I’m not an avid lash wearer but when I do, I love Ardell lashes, which are super accessible from places like Ulta to CVS.

Ardell Demi Wispies

These lashes are my favorite style if you’re looking for a more natural set!

EcoTools

EcoTools are one of the best drugstore brush brands I found at Target. These brushes are affordable and cruelty free! They are super soft, yet get the job done! I also find they are easy to clean/wash and the quality of mine so far has not dwindled!

Angelica, born and raised in NY, is currently a senior at New York University in the College of Arts & Science! Find her on Instagram @angelicadeviannie :)