9 Black Shoes You Need in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New York City is the center of monochromatic outfits. It’s the city where everyone has at least one flawless black and white outfit that can be transformed to fit any occasion. However, black is also a classic color that automatically makes any piece timeless. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a list of the nine black shoes that you need to have in your closet. They’ll never go out of style, so don’t be afraid to splurge! No matter what decade we’re in, black will always remain the new black.

1. The Chelsea Boot

Chelsea Boots are a necessity for any casual outfit. My favorite thing about these shoes is its versatility. Worn with jeans or leggings, these shoes are chic and comfy at the same time. Want a more edgy look? Pair these shoes with a dainty dress for a street style-worthy appearance. These are basic black shoes that you can wear all year round, nicely complementing essentially every item in your wardrobe.

2. The Rainboot

In the universally detested New York City slush, your feet with be thanking you when you wear a pair of these black rainboots. Super refined and simple, these shoes are a godsend when the piles of brown sludge start to flood the streets of Manhattan during the winter. You can even wear them in the spring with a flowy skirt or dress, paired with high socks. Hunter Boots are a great splurge, but if you don’t feel like paying the high prices, there are a variety of more affordable alternatives.

3. The Patent Leather Heel

The Black Patent Leather Heel is a must for any working girl’s closet. Easily transformed from day to night, this is the ideal shoe for any occasion. Patent leather is a beloved favorite of mine since it’s a facile way to up your shoe game and look professional at the same time. You can try them on with lightly faded boyfriend jeans and a simple shirt for brunch, or pair them with a playful romper for a night out. Either way, these heels will remain a staple in your closet from now until after graduation.

4. The Platform Boot

Platform boots are a superb way to gain a little height and add some spunky edge to your outfit. I absolutely adore these Urban Outfitters Platform Boots because of the simple vintage stitching at the top. Platform boots are extremely convenient because they’re easy to dress up or down. Pair these shoes with jeans, a dress, or a black leather jacket and you’re all set!

5. The Backless Sandal

Backless Sandals are comfortable and polished at the same time. I appreciate how these shoes are like a heeled sandal, making them perfect for pleasant spring and summery weather. Backless shoes go well with any item in your closet. My personal favorite look with sandals is to wear tighter clothing on top (i.e. black bodysuit), and baggier clothing on the bottom (i.e. button down skirt). Pair them with a vibrant pedicure and your shoes are sure to pop!

6. The Classic Loafer

I’m a huge advocate of menswear for women and these leather loafers do not disappoint. The side cut-outs add a soft feminine touch, while the short heel in the back is charming and atypical. You can pair these with black pants for work or slip them on with peppy boyfriend jeans for an everyday look for class. Feel free to match them up with flowy dresses and feminine prints to juxtapose the style of the shoe.

7. The Strappy Heel

Strappy heels are a must. They look incredible with jumpsuits and dresses, creating a casual boho look. If you’re looking for an edgier flair, pair them with an all black guise and a bold leather jacket. If you buy ones with a thicker heel, they can easily transform your outfit from a posh work day to a night out with your gals! Make them dainty or not, strappy heels will always come in handy.

8. The Lace-Up Heel

Lace-up heels have been extremely in vogue recently, and it’s no wonder why! Like a ballerina’s slipper, lace-up heels are dainty and sweet. They can be worn with a short, elegant dress or romper, so you can unveil the smooth lacing and tie at the top. My favorite way to wear lace up heels is with an asymmetrical skirt and patterned jacket, creating a flirtatious and playful look.

9. The Minimalist Sandal

Flat, black sandals are the most minimalist you can get. They’re essential for the warm summer days that make living in New York City even more fun. The double straps, as well as detailed leather pattern differentiate these shoes from the traditional black flip flops that everyone seems to already own. Not to mention, Birkenstocks are also a rad idea if you’re looking for black sandals.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.