8 Halloween Costumes to Keep You Warm (But Still Hot)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

1. Morticia Addams

Feeling a little old for Wednesday’s plaits? Level up to the Addams Family matriarch and show off some curves in the process. Morticia may very well be the holy grail of warm-but-still-hot Halloween costumes because she requires loads of fabric while showing off your shape. Make it your own by choosing a rad lipstick color—red, black, or purple? It’s up to you! Stay extra warm by making it a couple’s costume with your very own Gomez. Maybe he’ll even lend you his blazer?

2. Margot Tenenbaum

Your eyeliner-rimmed glare may be icy but, rest-assured, your (hopefully faux) fur coat will keep you warm this Halloween. Pull your hair into a mock bob or tuck it under a short blonde wig and pin it back with a simple barrette. Use prop cigarettes and a single bandaged-up finger to really complete the look for ice queen Margot. Forget the Royal Tenenbaums, you’re indie royalty now!

3. Penny Lane

Use the 70’s trend to your advantage as the memorable muse from Almost Famous. Most of Penny’s signature pieces—the shearling jacket, the bellbottom jeans, and those too-cool-for-school blue sunglasses—are available at your favorite store right now. The best part about dressing up as this chic heroine? You can wear pieces of your in-style costume again and again, avoiding the very real horror of price tag regret.

4. Cher Horowitz

Shivering on Halloween? As if! Though Cher’s iconic look may involve a skirt, don’t be Clueless—allow the magic of tights and leggings to keep this 90’s SoCal style weather-appropriate. Complete the look with a clunky 90’s cell phone from Etsy and brush up on your old school lingo to pull it off.

5. Heathers

Whether you go alone or in a group, as a member of the Heathers set, you’ll always be dressed to kill. Layer up with the crew’s signature preppy 80’s look and tease out your hair to match.

6. Elle Woods

Elle Woods didn’t let a man dash her dreams of graduating from Harvard Law, so why should you let chilly autumn weather keep you from looking Legally Blonde this Halloween? Add a smart blazer to a fabulous dress to pull off Elle’s specific brand of lawyer chic, and don’t forget the Harvard apparel.

8. Annie Hall

Call back to a classic while keeping it cozy and cute as Annie Hall. Recreate her iconic style with a pair of tan trousers, an oversized button down, a cute vest, and a necktie. Want to go above and beyond? Grab a hat, some big sunglasses, and a tennis racket for the full Annie experience.

Have fun, stay warm, and above all, stay safe!

Features Editor at HC NYU. Loves coffee and clothes.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.