8 Everyday Items You Didn’t Know Were Invented by Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Take a look at the room you’re in right now. Chances are you have access to something that was designed by a woman. Over the years, women inventors have created inventions in categories ranging from food to security and beyond. Here are 8 items in our everyday lives that were invented by women! 

1. Dishwashers

Even though they might be hard to find in a New York City apartment, we all know this one well: Dishwashers. Josephine G. Cochran is the mind behind automatic dishwashers. Patented in 1886, Cochran’s design was the most effective dishwasher to date. 

2. Fire Escapes 

Another hard-to-miss New York feature is the fire escape! While most people today use the extra space for some fresh air, it’s proven its importance throughout history. Anna Connelly created the very first exterior fire escape in the late 1800s. Her invention also led to the creation of building codes for New York City, preventing future losses during fires. 

3.Windshield Wipers 

Can you imagine driving on a rainy day without windshield wipers? Luckily, Mary Anderson designed the very first manual windshield wipers in the early 1900s. Alost ten years later, another woman — Charlotte Bridgewood — followed in her footsteps and created an automatic wiper system.

4. Turn Signals 

Whatever you call them — turn signals, blinkers or indicators — they too are another product of a woman inventor. Florence Lawrence, who was actually a famous actor, created this product. She is also the daughter of Charlotte Bridgewood, yes the Charlotte Bridgewood discussed above. 

5. Car Heaters

Another car product that is not only useful but very much needed in some colder areas (especially New York winters!) are car heaters. Margaret A. Wilcox was the inventor of the very first car heater. Her models were used long after 1893, influencing the development of modern-day car heaters as well. 

6. Coffee Filters

Coffee lovers unite, this one’s for you! Melitta Bentz created coffee filters in 1908. Like many of us, she craved a tasty cup of coffee without hard-to-clean aftermaths or pieces of coffee grounds in her drink. And to this day her invention is used and loved by many around the world.  

7. Chocolate Chip Cookies

Time for a tastier discovery! You can thank a woman each time you devour a chocolate chip cookie. And what gives the story a fun kick is that these cookies came as a sudden invention during the cooking process of something else. Ruth Graves Wakefield was creating a different type of cookie when she decided to add small pieces in her regular cookie dough and thus the classic cookie was born. 

8. Foot-Pedal Trash Can 

So, after you finish eating those chocolate chip cookies and walk to your trash can, chances are it has a step-pedal to open it (as many trash cans do today). Lillian Gilbreth is the inventor behind this new easy way to dispose of trash. In fact, she has also designed many other products commonly found in kitchens today.   

Mariam is a freshman at NYU SPS. With a passion for ice cream, travel, and music, she aspires to write relatable content for the HerCampus NYU community. To chat or ask any questions, you can reach Mariam at mk7583@nyu.edu.