7 Quick Bites For Lunch Near WSP When You’re Rushing to Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Students living in the city understand the NYC hustle is no joke. With subway delays, busy streets, and back-to-back classes, sitting down to eat lunch is often impossible. I know how it is, which is why I’ve compiled a list of places near Washington Square Park perfect for a quick bite when you’re not super hungry and need to make the next class. 

playa bowls

Playa Bowls has locations on Macdougal Street and near Union Square making it convenient for students who have classes a few blocks up. Even if you’re not in the mood for an acai bowl, they offer smoothies which can be consumed while you’re walking. They will fill you enough to not worry about a growling stomach during your class. You can also order online which is a big time saver. 

Matto

For those who don’t want to spend a fortune on food but need to get through their next class, this quick bite is for you. Matto is known for the entirety of their menu being $2.50 when you mobile order, making it a student favorite. Their location on Waverly and Broadway has been my go-to since ordering on their app takes literally less than five minutes, and every time I get there, my food is ready. Whenever I don’t know what to eat, I order either a smoothie or a pastry to tie me over. 

Sweetgreen

Scattered throughout WSP, Sweetgreen is a must for students who need something more filling than a smoothie for lunch. This restaurant may sound familiar as the pictures of Renee Rapp sporting just their iconic green paper bag may be living in some students’ minds rentfree. For those who enjoy an amazing salad, you may want to consider their Sweetpass loyalty program — we students love to get food rewards, since it means spending less money.

Kured

Calling all charcuterie lovers! Kured on Thompson Street is known for their adorable charcuterie cups and to-go boxes making it an amazing place to grab lunch before heading to class. All locally sourced and affordable, they offer individual boxes and cups including a vegetarian option and delicious sandwiches. They also have a ten percent discount if you show your NYU ID! They take about 15 to 20 minutes to make so I’d recommend ordering ahead if you’re really short on time. Despite this, they’re a lifesaver for when you’re hungry. 

Pret a Manger

On Astor Place, near the now-open Wegmans, Pret A Manger makes their  sandwiches daily. They have a place where people can just grab and pay for their sandwiches in less than ten minutes. If you need a caffeine fix before class, their coffee is organic. I highly recommend their chicken and tomato sandwich, it is delicious and quick. Plus, they offer “Club Pret” a 20-ish dollars a month subscription where you can get up to 5 free drinks a day plus 20 percent off the rest of the menu.

Top Thai

I’ve been to Top Thai once and would definitely go back when I crave Thai food. Their online order feature is so fast and convenient so once I got there, I grabbed my food and began eating it on the way to class. I definitely want to come during dinner when I am not rushing, but their lunch specials hit the spot. They offer a special which starts from $10.95 and comes with a drink and appetizer. Lunch for under 20 dollars in NYC? What a steal. 

Maman

I first noticed this café when I saw an advertisement for downloading their app in exchange for ten dollars worth of food and drink. That money lasted me two drinks which was enough to get me hooked. Typical of French cafés, Maman Bakery offers a honey lavender latte and a lavender hot chocolate which makes their drinks stand apart from other coffee shops in the city. They have a wide selection of food like pastries, tartines, sandwiches, salads and soups, all of which are great on the go. Be sure to show your NYU ID to get a discount!

Hopefully one of these places piqued your interest or inspired you to try a new place on campus. Whatever it is, we know being a student is no easy task, so take some time with these options and go get lunch. 

Sabrina Blandon is an English major at NYU with a minor in creative writing. Avid reader herself and literary advocate, she has interviewed over 60 authors from New York Times bestselling ones to debut authors for Her Author Spotlight blog series for Her Campus NYU and Her Campus Hofstra. She loves exploring everything New York City has to offer and is a major foodie.