This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

September is finally here, and with it has come a great selection of movies to watch with your best friends, your SO, or even just yourself. Whether you’re a little stressed from the first few weeks of school, or you just need to treat yourself at the end of a long week, make sure to catch one of these movies for some quality YOU time.

The Nun

Premiere Date: September 6th, 2018

To all horror aficionados: remember that creepy nun you saw in the Conjuring 2? Well, she’s back—but better than ever in her very own, self-entitled film. Set in a Romanian abbey in 1952, a young nun-to-be and a priest with a haunted past work together to get rid of this demonic presence. There are a ton of scares, screams, and sitting-on-the-edge-of-your-seat moments, so get your tickets to go see it in theaters now!

Peppermint

Premiere Date: September 7th, 2018

The future is female, but better yet, the present is also female. Jennifer Garner plays an incredibly fierce woman who, after losing her husband and daughter in a violent attack and having woken up from a coma herself, is set to find justice and revenge for them. For those who have an obsession for 90s and early 2000s cult TV shows, you’ll know that Garner is the best casting choice for the movie. (Hello Alias fans!)

A Star is Born

Premiere Date: September 14th, 2018

Lady Gaga is SO ready and prepared for her EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony awards)! After premiering to wide critical acclaim at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival, A Star is Born just might be a main contender for the 2019 award season. Lady Gaga plays a struggling musician who goes by the name of Ally, while Bradley Cooper plays her lovelorn counterpart as the musician Jackson Maine. While the film explores their difficult and passionate relationship, it also shows Ally’s career taking off for the win. Gaga fans: be prepared for an epic ride!

A Simple Favor

Premiere Date: September 14th, 2018

Who doesn’t love a Gone Girl and Girl on the Train-esque film with a bit of noir thrown in? Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively play an intense game of cat and mouse, as the two get seriously entangled in plot twists, mind games, and lots and lots of good ole drama. Anna Kendrick plays single mom Stephanie who is tasked with finding her best friend, Emily (Blake Lively), who has completely disappeared without a trace. What you think will happen is not what will actually happen.

Assassination Nation

Premiere Date: September 21st, 2018

What happens when you take the all-consuming powers of social media and the toxicity of high school teens and shove it all into a violent indie film? Catastrophe—but at it its best. Odessa Young, Suki Waterhouse, and Bella Thorne star in this satirical thriller about teens whose online lives have been completely hacked by an unknown resident in their small town called Salem.

Life Itself

Premiere Date: September 21st, 2018

Anyone who wants a good cry will surely be in line for this movie. If Dan Fogelman’s This is Us sounds familiar to you, then you will know that Life Itself just may be the film version of the heart-wrenching family drama. Starring Olivia Wilde and Oscar Isaac as a couple who are hopelessly in love, the film follows their life and just how much their relationship inspires and influences the people around them. In classic Dan Fogelman fashion, there are a ton of other storylines that exist within subplots of subplots, so make sure to grab your tissues and your SO to see this one!

Night School

Premiere Date: September 28th, 2018

The magical and hilarious combination of Tiffany Haddish and Kevin Hart could not be any better. While Kevin Hart plays the rambunctious adult student who needs to get his GED, Tiffany Haddish plays his feisty night school teacher who thinks he’s more than enough trouble. Watch this comedy when you have a hankering for a good laugh.

Before September ends, be sure to head to the movie theater, grab some popcorn, and enjoy some incredible films!

Image Credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Hannah Song is a freshman at NYU Steinhardt currently studying Media, Culture, and Communications. Ever since she was little, she has always been a movie buff. In the future, she hopes to become a successful casting director for major film and television companies.  She is also a self-declared Disney fanatic, and most likely seen singing her heart out to The Little Mermaid. 
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.