6 Ways To Celebrate International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Every year, March 8th marks International Women’s Day — a day dedicated to celebrating women and advocating for issues surrounding gender inequality. This year’s theme focuses particularly on fighting against bias, stereotypes and discrimination against women. 

Here are six ways to celebrate this day.

Shop From Women-Owned Businesses 

What better day to support women-owned businesses? There’s plenty of options to choose from right in the heart of campus. Visit spots like Third Rail Coffee or Whistle & Fizz for a quick, sweet and affordable pick-me-up between classes, or try out Waverly Diner, a 24/7 American-style diner, or Red Bamboo, a great spot for vegan comfort food. The list goes on, but see this link for more women-owned businesses that mention food and beyond.

Read, Watch or Listen to Empowering Content 

A great activity to do this day, either by yourself or with some friends, is to consume content about, or created by, astonishing women. Whatever your taste — books, movies or podcasts — there is something for everyone to enjoy. Some fan-favorite examples include: Hidden Figures and Little Women in movies, The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman and Invisible Women by Caroline Criado-Perez in books and Encyclopedia Womannica and Call Your Girlfriend in podcasts. 

Attend an Event or Panel Discussion  

The celebrations don’t end on March 8th. The whole month of March (also Women’s History Month) hosts numerous events. Many businesses and companies host events during this time (like concerts, fundraisers, etc.), while others choose to have panel discussions where people share tips, network and more. See this link for a list of events throughout New York City. 

The action isn’t limited to the outside world either. There are countless online events, with conversations on everything from education, finance, leadership and more! Check out this link to find virtual events hosted by various groups online. 

Educate Yourself and Others 

While we’re making progress towards ending biased outlooks on women, there is still a long way to go until we achieve true equality. Which is why, in addition to celebrating women today, we must also listen — listen to their issues, complaints and advice on what we can do next. 

It’s also important to make an effort to learn about topics we aren’t familiar with. This can be done through online resources (such as books, articles, videos, etc.) or speaking to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject (such as educators, friends, etc.) Another crucial aspect is to encourage this learning to others. Encourage those around you to be better aware of situations so that they too can play a role in making a more equal and fair society. A good starting point for all could be on the history of women’s day itself; read this article for a brief overview.

Donate to a Charity

If you want to take your actions a step further, consider donating to a charity supporting women. There are numerous charities to choose from, allowing you the opportunity to support a cause you are passionate about (or donating to multiple causes!). Some popular charities include Malala Fund (advocating education for girls), Women for Women International (supporting women located in areas of conflict) or Girls Who Code (helping to bridge the gender gap in the tech field). For a longer list of charities, check out this article.    

Continue the Discussion Online With the Hashtag #BreakTheBias 

Following this year’s theme, the hashtag #BreakTheBias is a great opportunity to connect with others fighting the same cause. Voice your opinions and thoughts online using this hashtag, sharing what this day means to you. Or, take a moment to listen to what others around the world have to say and engage in meaningful conversations. 

Let’s continue to #BreakTheBias and empower women from HerCampus NYU and beyond.

Mariam is a freshman at NYU SPS. With a passion for ice cream, travel, and music, she aspires to write relatable content for the HerCampus NYU community. To chat or ask any questions, you can reach Mariam at mk7583@nyu.edu.