6 Valentine’s Day Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Whether you vicariously live dreamy romances while reading Nicholas Sparks’ novels, or find yourself drooling over the latest Instagram posted by your ultra-dapper celebrity crush (ahem…Liam Hemsworth), it’s safe to say that we all have preconceived expectations of the “perfect” love life. You also know that on a particular day all of these fantasies will finally be conquered by reality. Yep, Valentine’s Day. PSA for all the taken chicks out there: This V-Day, let’s try to keep our expectations slightly aligned with the real world.

Expectation

Your SO has THE most romantic V-day event planned, from the fragrant red roses to a sweet surprise afterwards.

Reality

He did get you the roses, after you hinted at it maybe 59493 times. But dinner plans?

Expectation

Dressing up will be simple and quick. You already pre-planned on Pinterest your dress, accessories, eyeshadow shades and hairstyle.

Reality

You’re on the verge of texting him to come over instead so you can stay warm and cozy in your sweats.

Expectation

If you finally decide on an outfit, Bae will never stop the showers of compliments and adoration.

Reality

He’s more focused on fulfilling the wishes of his grumbling stomach.

Expectation

You finally make it to the dinner reservation, outfit on point and all dolled up, with his V-day card waiting at the glowing candle-lit table.

Reality

Your beau may not be the biggest fan of the Caviar Hors D’oeuvres served at the upscale eatery you chose.

Expectation

Gift giving: He may or may not have taken a trip to Victoria’s Secret.

Reality

Maybe not the gift you expected? But hey! There’s always next year…hopefully.

Expectation

Your “goodnight, I love you so much” kiss will be absolutely magical.

Reality

He just wants to peace out.

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.