5 ways to spice up your winter wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

By now, I think we are all sick of the snow and our winter wardrobe. I have officially worn out my winter boots and am dying to slip into ballet flats, flip-flops, and anything but my big heavy down jacket.

Here you will find 5 simple tricks to spice up your winter outfits to get us through the cold until we can slip into our sundresses once again.

1. Uggs are always a No-no. Sorry girls. The only time I think they are acceptable is on your way to the gym, but I understand why they are tempting. Hello, they are warm! In high school I learned a trick that I want to share with all of you, buy leather boots a size larger than you would normally get and wear them with fuzzy socks. It is the same warmth as Uggs but much more fashionable and no one will ever know. They are also waterproof so you can wear it in the snow and rain.

These boots are on sale for $69.99 at Steve Madden, and fuzzy socks can be found in any drug store.

2. American Apparel has the warmest beanies and luckily for us they come in every color under the sun. Instead of wearing a boring black beanie try a jewel toned one or a winter white to really pop. A real bonus is that they are only 20$.

3. Sunglasses! Sunglasses are not only for the summer people, they are a year round necessity and a staple to master that downtown chic style. Put on your classic Ray Bans and you are good to go.

4. A new hairstyle will make you feel like a whole new girl. One of the hottest trends this winter is braids and it is so simple. My personal favorite is the one shown below.

Separate your hair in two where your part is and French braid the two sides down to the nape on your neck. From there simply twist the remaining hair into a bun and secure with a bobby pin. It is so classy, yet chic, and stylish.

Check out the link for more ideas!

5. The easiest is to purchase a new scarf from the street vendors. They have every color possible and for $5.00. The pashminas and cashmere are so soft will instantly give your over-worn clothing a boost.

I understand that we are all on a college budget so obtaining some of these items may not be an option but that is what roommates and friends are for! If you get stuck do not hesitate to go to their closet for help, they would probably love to go to yours as well! Make it a fun event with your friends and do a clothes swap. Have everyone bring items they are no longer attached so and trade them, that way everyone gets a boost without breaking the bank.

Stay warm girls!!! Spring will come eventually. 

My name is Catherine Bartlett and I am from East Hampton, NY. I am a transfer student to NYU and I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus. 
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.