5 Ways to Be Productive Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As 2015 crunches down to its last few weeks, there are only two words constantly on our mind: winter break. Finally, you hand in that last exam, haul your overweight suitcase on the sidewalk and excitedly make your way back home. But now what? In the midst of family & friendship reunions, LOTS of sleep and maybe even some traveling, you’re bound to have some free time on your hands. So instead of binge-watching seasons of your new Netflix obsession, perhaps there are some things you could do that are actually worth your four weeks of spare time. Read on for some helpful suggestions for this upcoming winter break:

1. Sell Your Textbooks

Whether or not they actually made a difference in your studies this semester, we all know the stress that came with the entire process of buying the exact edition of your textbooks during syllabus week. That being said, make sure to pack some of them with you back home so you can finally make some bucks off of your Amazon seller account. Or, you can stare at the hardcover of the taunting title Microeconomics on your bookshelf during second semester. Your choice.

2. Hit the Gym

Whether or not you routinely exercised at Palladium or often took a jog through WSP, winter break is the perfect opportunity to get back on a healthy track since finals may have interrupted your groove. Sign up for a monthly membership at your local gym, or for those of you lucky enough to enjoy warm temperatures back home, go for a run! Your motivation shouldn’t be to shed pounds; it should be to become a better version of yourself. Starting off with a morning workout will definitely boost your energy for the rest of the day, I promise! So, don’t be afraid to break a sweat during this time off. :)

3. Work on your Resumé

New year, new summer, new internship! You’re a semester away from entering the real world again, so make the best of your upcoming professional pursuits. Whether you started a new extracurricular activity, need to update your current GPA, or hope to receive advice from an outside perspective, try to dedicate some time to perfecting that killer resumé of yours. That way, you’ll be much less stressed while applying for internships, knowing your resumé is in solid condition.

4. Read

When was the last time you read a book on your own time? Yeah, I don’t remember either. All the recent novels you’ve read were most likely required for core class or an elective you had to take. So why not read something you’ll actually enjoy? Over the next few weeks, cuddle up with some sweet hot chocolate and a classic book before heading to bed. Losing track of time after reading 150 pages is probably a better feeling than mindlessly gazing over food instagram accounts for hours.

Check out our winter reading list for some suggestions! 

5. RELAX

Ultimately, the most important thing to accomplish this upcoming break is to actually give yourself at break. Your brain has been working at high-level speeds these past few weeks, so it’s really time to slow things down and calm down your body. It’s okay if you go to sleep at 9 PM some nights, even if you did absolutely nothing that day. By taking some “chill” days here and there, you’ll easily be able to return second semester with a new boost of energy. Happy holidays!

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.