17 Must Read Books For Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Winter Break is finally coming up, and with that means Christmas, snow, and more free time. With the temperatures dropping well below freezing, there will probably be days where it’s more comfortable to spend that free time curled up in bed with a book and a mug of hot chocolate.

However, navigating the seemingly never-ending world of literary choices can make finding those perfect books a daunting challenge, so I’ve put together a list of books to read this winter to suit a wide variety of tastes. I’ve picked books from a number of genres, 10 of which were published in 2015 and have already piqued the interest of readers everywhere. Whether you’re into fantasy, literary or historical fiction, romance, memoirs, or thrillers, you’ll easily find a book worth reading here.

Thrillers

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (published January 15, 2015)

A page turner from the start, The Girl on the Train has already been a massive success, being called the next Gone Girl. The book focuses on Rachel, a girl who takes solace in the lives of a couple she sees every morning on the train until she witnesses a crime that she can’t keep to herself. If you like thrillers and haven’t read this one yet, it’s definitely a must read for this winter.

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn (published November 3, 2015)

A just-released short story by the author of Gone Girl, The Grownup is sure to be a success. This story originally appeared in George R. R. Martin’s Rogues anthology, but was finally published as a stand-alone piece of fiction. At 64 pages, this ghost story centered on a young con-woman and fake psychic is a quick page-turner, perfect for those whose time will be occupied by work or internships this winter.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (published September 1992)

Donna Tartt’s debut novel follows a group of college students in New England whose morals allow them to justify their involvement two murders. Narrated through one of these students, Richard, the book is thrilling, pulling readers into his world through well-written prose littered with literary references.

Historical Fiction

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory (published August 18, 2009)

If this book sounds familiar, that’s because it inspired a Starz miniseries by the same name. The book follows the story of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of King Edward IV and mother of the lost princes in the Tower of London, as she navigates the ups and downs of English court during The War of the Roses. This book is enthralling, and reading it over winter break means you’ll have time to binge-watch the TV show too.

Orphan #8 by Kim van Alkemade (published August 4, 2015)

Inspired by a true story, Orphan #8 tells the story of Rachel, a Jewish girl who faced immense torture at the hands of Dr. Mildred Solomon when she was used for medical experiments. As an adult, Rachel is confronted with her past when Dr. Solomon shows up in the hospice wing where Rachel is a nurse, and she has to choose how to use the power she now holds over her torturer.

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (published August 1, 2013)

A book about the New Zealand gold rush set in 1866, The Luminaries is a historical fiction thriller following protagonist Walter Moody as he experiences the various mysteries of the goldfields. It’s a long book at 848 pages, but won the 2013 Man Booker Prize, and is a definite must read if you can find the time to digest it.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (published July 3, 2014)

Set in the cold autumn of Amsterdam in 1686, The Miniaturist is the perfect novel for winter when you don’t actually want to feel cold. The book follows 18-year-old Nella as the new wife of rich merchant Johannes Brandt, who begins to discover the secrets of the household after furnishing a miniature version of their home. Set in an enchanting city with an equally enchanting plot, this book is the perfect escape from the monotony of winter.

City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg (published October 13, 2015)

For those of you missing New York City this winter, City on Fire is the perfect book to bring you back. The book follows the stories of a large group of New Yorkers during 1976 and 1977, as a detective tries to solve a Central Park murder. When New York experiences a city-wide blackout on July 13, 1977, each of their lives are shaken up and changed forever.

Romance

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (published December 1847)

An undisputed romantic classic, Wuthering Heights makes it on many people’s winter reading lists. Following the tumultuous love story of Catherine and Heathcliff, this novel examines love, betrayal, and revenge and manages to evoke passion like few others. Despite the unlikeable characters, this book has captured the attention of countless people in the centuries since it was published.

The Widow by Nola Duncan, Libby Harkness (published September 5, 2013)

The true story of the author, The Widow follows Nola as she discovers her late husband’s affair with one of his students. A year after his death, while she was packing up his things, Nola discovered countless love letters and poems between her husband and his lover. This novel explores her deep sense of betrayal and her struggle with the fact that she really hadn’t known before his death.

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (published September 15, 2015)

This novel examines the complexity of marriage through the lens of a 24-year love story. Following Lotto and Mathilde, a madly-in-love married couple, Groff shows the complicated way in which a long-lasting marriage grows over time. A beautifully written bestseller, Fates and Furies is a powerful love story that is sure to be loved by many.

Celebrity

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg (published June 16, 2015)

To write Modern Romance, Aziz Ansari partnered with sociologist Eric Klinenberg to examine the modern dating scene in all its glories and failures. A humorous and informative examination of romance throughout time, this book is an easy and enjoyable read in Ansari’s unique comedic voice.

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song by Sara Bareilles (published October 6, 2015)

Sara Bareilles’ new novel is a reflective portrait of her life that goes beyond the scope of autobiography. In this novel, she shares personal, funny, heartfelt stories about her childhood, college years, and music that even her biggest fans haven’t had access to in the past. Definitely written for her fans, anyone who enjoys Bareilles’ lyrical style or personality is sure to enjoy this book.

Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling (published September 15, 2015)

Mindy Kaling’s second novel is just as charming as everything else she’s done. A hilarious examination of her journey through life, Kaling’s novel is relatable, enjoyable, and personal, making it a great book for anyone who could use a laugh and a break from the stress of the holidays.

Literary

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (published September 23, 2013)

Donna Tartt’s newest novel follows the story of Theo, a 13-year-old New Yorker who is taken in by wealthy family friends after his mother’s death. When a painting reminds him of his mother, Theo is captivated and drawn into the world of art, a lifestyle choice which enriches and complicates his life from that moment on.

Fantasy

Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-eight Nights by Salman Rushdie (published September 8, 2015)

One of the most celebrated writers in literature, Salman Rushdie’s new novel is perfect for the millions bewitched by his mastery of magical realism. In this novel, jinns – an ugly and evil representation of the devil in folklore – are able to join our world after a storm hits New York City, and Rushdie’s ensemble of characters has to save the world from their destruction. If you’re interested in mythology, this is the book for you.

After Alice by Gregory Maguire (published September 1, 2015)

The writer of Wicked has taken on another fairytale: Alice in Wonderland. The book follows Ada, Alice’s friend briefly mentioned in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as she herself stumbles down the rabbit hole and embarks on a search for Alice. Though Maguire’s writing style is a little wordy and extravagant, his prose is often exquisitely thoughtful and beautiful, making this a worthwhile read if you have the time to digest it.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein