Wellness

5 Skincare Products Perfect for the Season of (Self) Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We are nearing the end of February, which means that most of us (if not all) can see semester midterms or quarter-finals heading our way. I think it is about this time of year that I begin to stop caring about my appearance and start showing up to class with no make-up (pimples and all). I feel as though I am neglecting myself in my act of not caring – my skin is dry, I am getting breakouts, and my eye bags are out of this world. Here I have formulated a list of my top 5 holy-grail skincare products that do not take much time, and still make me feel glamorous on the days that I do not have on one ounce of mascara. 

Woman Lying on White Textile With Sliced Cucumbers on Her Eyes
Breakingpic from Pexels

1. Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream

This first product typically lasts me about four months and I have repurchased it at least three times. The Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream is the most hydrating moisturizer that I have ever used and makes my face feel baby soft. Infused with Japanese purple rice, this cream not only hydrates, but I have found that it clears up some of my acne. Tatcha also states that this moisturizer contains anthocyanin, which protects the skin from the effects of stress, pollution, and UV damage – the perfect combination for a college student in NYC. Another bonus is the packaging is recyclable and the product is both cruelty and gluten-free, making it a sustainable option. It also lacks a majority of the harmful chemicals that a lot of other products contain that could potentially lead to a disruption of normal hormone function. 

The Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream sits at the shelves of Sephora for $68. While this seems pricey, I believe it is worth it due to all of its benefits and longevity. I have yet to find a product that compares. Additionally, I have normal to dry skin, so it may be a bit too thick for those with more oily skin. If this is the case for you, I suggest trying the Tatcha Water Cream moisturizer. The formula is a bit thinner, but I loved the results I saw when I used it. I would purchase it again. The Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream will have your skin feeling both loved and protected – the two most important aspects of a love affair.  

1. Fresh Black Tea Kombucha Facial Treatment Essence

A product I use almost every day is one that I specifically need due to my location – New York City. I use the Fresh Black Tea Kombucha Facial Treatment Essence because it specifically protects the skin from pollution and aging. New York is one of the most polluted cities in the world, and I can only imagine what the effects are on my skin. It is for this reason that I invested in this product and have never looked back. 

This product has a super lightweight formula that feels much like a toner. I apply it by pouring it on to a facial pad and using it from there. It feels like there is nothing on my skin even though it’s working to protect my skin. All skin types can benefit from this essence. It contains mandarin peel extracts, kigelia Africana fruit extract, and kombucha that all work to get rid of the appearance of fine lines and, of course, protect from the dirt floating in the air. This product is also free of harmful chemicals.

The Fresh Black Tea Kombucha Facial Treatment Essence comes in three different sizes ranging from $32-$100 and I believe it lasts quite a while. Although it is on the pricier side, I think anti-pollution products are important to incorporate into your skincare routine (especially if you live in a big city). Trust me when I say this, your skin will thank you for it.   

1. Ole Henrikson PHAT Glow Facial

If there is anything that screams healthy skin, it is a nice glow and a baby soft texture. A product I use about once a week that gives my skin a little boost is the Ole Henrikson PHAT Glow Facial. This rose-scented product is a mask that promises to give your face a glow and prevent aging. It is a massage activated mask. When you apply the mask, it is pink and you must rub until the cream becomes white, then wait 15 minutes, and rinse off. Infused with PHAS, the PHAT Glow Facial rejuvenates texture, hydrate, and clarifies the skin. 

I have owned this product for about three months and still have a pretty full container. The product is $50 at Sephora, which is a steal for the help it provides for the skin. It is essentially like having a facial in your own home in a quarter of the time. There are not enough great things to say about this product, and if you buy one thing off this list, then this is the one that I recommend the most. 

1. Sunday Riley CEO Glow

If you want to look like a glowing goddess in 1 minute, the Sunday Riley CEO Glow is the way to go. This product is a vitamin-C serum infused with turmeric and primrose oil that gives your skin the most natural glow. Sunday Riley promises that their product will even and add luminosity to your skin with just a pat on the skin – and they aren’t lying. I use this product when my skin is looking a bit dull and sometimes apply on the top of my cheekbones for a nice natural glow. This product is great for a no-makeup day if you still want some radiance in the skin.

The Sunday Riley CEO Glow comes in two different sizes and ranges from $40-$80. I currently own the smaller bottle and am not even halfway finished (and I have had it for about three months). This product is perfect for the dry month of February and is sure to give your skin that summer glow – but in the winter. 

1. KNC Beauty Lip Scrub

Lips are a commonly forgotten part of the skincare routine, but with the KNC Beauty Lip Scrub, that’s about to change. KNC Beauty is a new brand that launched at Sephora last year and has already been used by Vogue Beauty editors and celebrities ranging from Kim Kardashian West to Adrienne Bailon. The scrub comes with an exfoliation tool and the scrub product to help remove the dead skin from your lips and create a softer, more plump pout. The scrub product is infused with collagen, sunflower oil, shea butter, and moringa oil – all guaranteed to promote softer and more voluminous lips. KNC Beauty also has lip mask packs for on the go. The pack is $28 and is available on KNCBeauty.com and Sephora. 

Hi my name is Cosette Terriquez. I am originally from Orange County, California and am now studying at New York University majoring in journalism. I am very passionate about beauty, fashion, and health and love to share my own tips and tricks. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my dog, trying out new makeup looks, and even posting on my own blog (cosetteterriquez.com). In the future I hope to have my own cosmetics line and inspire other men and women to express their true selves through the art of makeup. I am excited to write for Her Campus so that I can teach and share everything I know when it comes to these things I am passionate about.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.