5 Jobs for the Mid-Semester Bank Account Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Being in college is great, except for when you look at your wallet and find nothing but old gum wrappers. But don’t cry over spent Benjamins, here’s a helpful list of odd jobs that can make up for all of those late night Artichoke Pizza purchases.

1. Nannying

Pay: $12 – Any

It’s definitely not as glamorous as Scarlett Johansson made it look in the Nanny Diaries and I have yet to meet Chris Evans outside an apartment (STILL WAITING CHRIS), but it’s definitely a great job for busy college kids. Nannying is perfect if you need a flexible schedule, as most kids get out of school around 3pm, and if you love hanging out with tiny humans! I applied for all of my nannying jobs through Wasserman’s CareerNet and have had some great experiences, plus made some extra dough. 

2. Dog Walking

Pay: About $12 + tip for a 30 minute walk

There are so many pups in this city and so many owners to get mad at you when you insist on stopping them on the street to pet their fur child (rude). With dog walking you can get your pet fix while getting paid, and avoiding those awkward glares from owners. I work for Wag! an on-demand dog walking service (think Uber for dog walkers) and have had an amazing experience! The hours are flexible and the dogs are cute. What more could you ask for?

3. Paid Internships

Pay: Varies, but usually begins around $10

Get career experience and get paid; it’s a win-win. You can find paid internships all over the city and in almost every field; you just have to search for them! A good start is NYU CareerNet, or a simple Internet scan of companies you’re interested in.

4. Stern Lab Studies

Pay: Varies, about $6 for 30 minutes or less

I discovered these studies last year and have made enough to cover quite a few lattes from them. Typically the studies are 30 minutes to an hour and ask you to perform an online or in-person task. Most are pretty simple and often take up less time than what is listed. Plus, they are in the Tisch Building of Stern, so its super convenient!

5. Paid Jobs on Campus

Pay: Varies

There are a ton of positions on campus that can help pad your resume and your wallet. I’ve been a transfer ambassador for two years and make $500 in Campus Cash each semester for sending out weekly emails and planning fun events. Admissions Ambassadors also make money, as do Res Hall assistants and the SRC staff. Inquire about open positions in-person and be sure to know all the registration deadlines!

Images: 1 / 23 / 4 / 5

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.