Style

5 Iconic Celebrity Halloween Costumes You can Recreate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

When it comes to Halloween, celebrities love to go all out. From dressing up as supernatural creatures to iconic film characters, or even other celebrities, they are a great source of inspiration for your Halloween look. 

Here are four celebrity Halloween costumes to take inspiration from and how you can create them yourself!

1. Kylie Jenner as Christina Aguilera

The Kardashian-Jenner clan have had many amazing Halloween looks but I always come back to this one. Not only did Jenner sport a long blonde and black wig identical to Aguilera’s look in her “Dirrty” music video, but she also wore fake facial piercings to match Aguilera’s real ones. Even Aguilera loved the look, commenting “YAASSSSS…..Killin it.” on Kylie’s post. This costume can easily be recreated with a striped bikini top, black and red jeans, a leather jacket, and some blonde and black hairspray. 

1. Lupita Nyong’o as Dionne from Clueless

Cher from Clueless has always been a popular Halloween costume but we must give Lupita Nyong’o snaps for her spot-on Dionne outfit. Nyong’o chose one of Dionne’s most famous outfits, she wears a plaid set ––a staple of the 90’s movie—a retro phone, and even a hat that she must have bought “shopping with Dr. Seuss.” Recreate this look with a plaid skirt and jacket combo, some black knee high socks, and close toed heels. 

1. Karlie Kloss as Marilyn Monroe

In a white dress and short blonde wig, Kloss completely nailed the Marilyn Monroe look. Not only is this old Hollywood look fabulous, but it is also easy to recreate. All you need is some red lipstick, heels, a white dress of your choosing, and a blonde wig or hairspray. For extra flair, you could also add some costume jewelry –– diamonds are a girl’s best friend!

1. Nicki Minaj as Harley Quinn

With Suicide Squad coming out in 2016 and Birds of Prey coming out in early 2020, Harley Quinn has become a beloved DC Comics character. She has many wild looks worthy of recreation, but none are as iconic as this one. This look can be created with fishnet tights, a white shirt, blue spandex and, of course, pigtails! Add pink and blue hairspray to complete the look or maybe even a blonde wig because Harley isn’t even naturally blonde!

1. Gigi Hadid as Sandy from Grease

Dressed in all leather, Hadid recreated Sandy’s final outfit from Grease. From her curly blonde hair to bright red shoes, she accurately captured Sandy’s bad girl transformation. To create this outfit yourself all you need is leather pants, a leather jacket, a black top and some red lipstick. Go Grease Lightning!

When searching for your next Halloween costume, look to celebrities for fun and fashionable outfits that will be sure to make you stand out!

Dana is a journalism major at New York University. She is originally from Westport, Connecticut and has always loved New York City. She is extremely passionate about fashion, beauty, and writing. If you have any questions or want to chat, find her on Instagram @danaperelberg!
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.