5 Healthy Eats on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With classes, internships, clubs, and city life occupying much of our time, healthy eating at school caneasily become a second (or third, or fourth) priority. And especially for those of us without meal plans,Joe’s Pizza and Chipotle can become way too tempting after a long day on the grind. Luckily, though, tonsof New York restaurants and cafes have jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon in recent years. Here I’llhighlight five of the most convenient places to grab a waistline-friendly bite close to campus! 

1. Just Salad (53 East 8th Street)If you’re looking for a quick, relatively inexpensive, healthy spot super close to campus, you’vegot to make Just Salad your go-to. With plenty of “Chef-Designed” salads like Autumn ChickenCaesar, Asian Sesame Grain and Chipotle Cowboy to choose from along with unique toppingoptions like pumpkin seeds, Turkish figs, and wheat berries if you want to create your own, JustSalad has nearly infinite combos for the health conscious student. If you’re looking for somethingmore substantial, the 8th street café also offers wraps as well as soup, and a well-stocked snackfridge (pro-tip: buy a Just Salad Reusable Bowl for $1, and receive two free toppings every timeyou use it!).

2. Fresh&Co (729 Broadway)The Fresh&Co menu offers plenty of options for a healthy meal at any time of the day. FromGreek yogurt parfaits to quinoa bowls and an impressive salad bar, this convenient location willdefinitely have a delicious dish to satisfy your appetite. They also have a ton of grab and gosnacks and meals for when you’re in a hurry. Be sure to download their LevelUp app for to earn$9 for every $100 you spend.

3. OatMeals (120 West 3rd Street, between MacDougal & Sixth Ave)Where else but New York City can you find a café devoted solely to serving amazing oatmeal?!OatMeals, located just behind the NYU Law School, is the perfect choice on those chillier falldays when you need something substantial and guilt-free. The Greenwich Village establishmentuses only 100% natural, whole grain steel cut oats for their steaming bowls of deliciousness akathey give you lots of fiber and protein to power through your day. From traditional options likeBrown Sugar Cinnamon Raisin and Blueberry Maple Walnut to more exotic choices such asSundried Tomato, Pesto & Parmesan or Thai Style Sweet & Spicy, OatMeals has it all. The shopis tiny, but a cozy spot for meeting a friend or catching up on class readings.

4. Juice Generation (171 West 4th Street, between 6th & 7th Ave)Venture a little bit west of the Square, and you’ll find a juice shop gem in Juice Generation onWest 4th St. Whether you’re on the juicing bandwagon or not, you’ll find tons of healthful optionshere. Freshly made smoothies include Peanut Butter Split, Mucho Mango and Coco Acai whilejuices range from Almond Protein Milk to Spicy Lemonade and Hail to Kale. They also havea wide range of raw foods available to grab for a quick lunch, and an extensive vegan bakerysection for when you just want a cookie.

5. Quantum LeapQuantum Leap is great for both a full meal, or just catching up over some veggies and hummus.This totally vegetarian spot has a wide variety of healthy, local, and organic items that will leaveyou feeling full. It has a cool, indie-chic vibe that add to the experience. Don’t miss their famousveggie burgers!

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.