Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

5 “Gilmore Girls” Episodes to Watch that Make Life Feel More Cozy 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

“Gilmore Girls” is probably one of the most rewatched TV shows among college students, or at least among my friend group. Something about the escapism that the town of Stars Hollow offers makes it an irresistible classic, especially in the cold months of winter. If you’re looking for something to turn on in the background while you bake cookies, or something to get drawn into while you fall asleep after a long school day, the seven seasons of “Gilmore Girls” have plenty of episodes to choose from for any mood. Here are five episodes that I recommend the most to my friends every year:

1. “You Jump, I Jump Jack” (Season 5, Episode 7)

This is my favorite “Gilmore Girls” episode of all time – and definitely the one that I watch the most often. It shows the beginning of Rory’s relationship with her college boyfriend, Logan, when it’s still new and exciting and not quite as tumultuous and dramatic. The episode follows Rory as she reports on Yale’s “Life or Death Brigade.” It has a plot full of adventure and mystery – something that isn’t typically part of the Gilmore Girls formula. 

Season 5 Netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
via Giphy
  1. “Raincoats and Recipes” (Season 4, Episode 22)

This episode is a fan favorite for a reason. Lorelai prepares for the opening of the Dragonfly Inn, and Luke tries to confess his feelings for her. Meanwhile, Rory is attempting to reconcile things with Dean so that they can stay friends in spite of their break-up and subsequent awkward interactions. This episode sees the culmination of several plot points that fans will have been waiting for up to this point in the series, including  Luke and Lorelai’s first kiss.

Season 4 Netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
via Giphy
  1. “Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ring” (Season 6, Episode 8)

If you’re looking for drama and yearning, this episode might be perfect for you. Luke’s nephew, Jess, returns to Stars Hollow and runs into Rory and Logan. It’s 45 minutes of tension as Rory tries to keep both men at ease, ultimately ending in a classic scene in which Jess yells, “Why did you drop out of Yale?” The interactions between Jess and Logan bring Rory’s past and her present to a glaring standoff; we watch as she wrestles with the woman she thought she was going to be and the woman she’s become. 

Season 6 Netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
via Giphy

4. “They Shoot Gilmores, Don’t They?” (Season 3, Episode 7)

At a Stars Hollow 24-hour dance marathon (something that could only reasonably exist in the world of Gilmore Girls), Dean dumps Rory on the dance floor. She experiences her first real heartbreak with the backdrop of a 1940s, oddly patriotic, dance party. At this point in the show, the love triangle between Dean, Rory, and Jess reaches its peak. Lorelai holds Rory as she cries on the dance floor, creating an unforgettable and iconic image of the mother-daughter pair.

Season 3 Netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
via Giphy

5. “Teach Me Tonight” (Season 2, Episode 19)

This episode brings us the joy that is “A Film By Kirk,” Kirk’s absurdist short film that the entire town gathers to watch. The Stars Hollow Movie Festival brings together all of the town’s best residents, but the other huge draw of this episode is the car accident that Jess and Rory get into. Rory’s attempt to tutor Jess ends in a car crash and a fractured wrist. The town flocks to Rory’s support, but Jess cements his reputation as the outcast. Lorelai and Luke fight, Jess and Luke fight, and Rory tries to defend her actions. Plus, Rory’s dad, Christopher, reappears in Stars Hollow after learning about Rory’s injury.

Season 2 Netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
via Giphy
Eliana Brown is a writer studying Journalism, English Literature, and Creative Writing at NYU. She is an editor and a staff writer for NYU's chapter of Her Campus. She self publishes a monthly newsletter through Substack and is also a contributing writer for the Washington Square News. With a passion for literature and writing about culture and art, she spends most of her time stressing about her yearly Goodreads challenge and talking about Taylor Swift. More often than not, she can be found at a concert somewhere.