5 Fun and Free Events to Do in October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Oh, October–the month of all things spooky and the resurgence of all things pumpkin spiced. From monsters to midterms, the month of October is a time of transition. The spirit of summer begins to become the aggravation of academics. If you’re finding yourself a little stressed amidst this month, here is a list of activities which are sure to lighten your spirits. And bonus: they won’t cost you a thing!

1. The Morgan Museum

Just a short walk from Grand Central, this midtown museum gem is Fall atmosphere, personified. Nestle yourself against the warm glow of the gorgeous library and feel connected to the autumnal spirit. On October 18th, the museum will be having a free college night open to college students of NYC. Serving mocktails, as well as a high dose of culture (i.e jazz music in the courtyard), you and your friends will be sure to feel fancy. More information here.

2. Ouija Board: Movie Screening

*Event passed* ​

Would it even be right to compose this list and not include a scary movie? Hosted by the NYU program board for NYU students, the only thing you’ll need to gain access to this horror flick is an NYU ID. Join fellow students on October 12th, for a spine tingling experience–if you dare. More information here

3. Bob’s Burger’s Art Show

Looking for some laughs to counteract the scary? The Bob’s Burgers Art Exhibit, a curation of art inspired by the uber popular FOX show, is a culmination of culture and the the exhibit only runs until ends October 16th, so make sure to pop in to this pop-up before it ends! More details here.

4. Halloween Dog Parade

A yearly tradition, this event brings together two things impossible not to love: dogs, and dogs dressed up in amazing costumes. Held at Tompkins Park in the East Village, on Saturday the 22nd, this day event will make the rest of your weekend amazing. Get all the details here.

5. Haunted Lantern Tours at Fort Rotten

If you are feeling inclined to revel in the uneasiness that accompanies talk of haunted houses and ghosts, this treat will be better than any candy you could pick up on halloween night. On October 28th, enjoy a walking tour where history and Halloween come together, as a guide regales the gory details of Fort Rotten. Details here.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Zuleyma is a staff writer for HerCampus and currently a freshman at NYU. She hails from beautiful and sunny Southern California, but is currently having a blast making friends and exploring all the hidden gems of New York CIty. When she's not busy writing, you can find her searching for vinyl on Bleecker St., eating grilled cheeses, or daydreaming about Mario Kart. You can find her on instagram at @zvleyma
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.