5 Beanie-Proof Hairstyles to Try This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Winter is approaching and you know what that means… beanie season! Beanies are a great way to stay warm and cover up a bad hair day at the same time. Really, what could be better?! While there is always the option of throwing a beanie on over your bed head and running to class, if you are looking to try something new here are a few ideas to keep your fly-aways down and your hair snug all day.

1. The Double Fishtail

This hairstyle is great way to return back to your elementary school pigtail roots. The fishtail braids are the perfect upgrade because the added texture leaves you with a more mature look. To learn how to fishtail braid check out this video: Fishtail Braid Tutorial

2. The Pull-Through Braid

Pull-through braids are perfect for busy days because all of the elastics ensure that it will stay intact longer (no more having to redo your braid every five minutes). An added bonus to this braid is that it looks way more complicated than it really is. The two minutes that this braid takes will have you getting compliments all day. If you need a lesson: Pull-Through Braid Tutorial

3. The Messy Pigtails

This hairstyle is super easy and will only take up a minute of your morning routine. The key to this look is getting the ponytails to be loose and messy for an effortless look. I started off the pigtails with three stitches of a braid just to add a little texture, but you don’t have to. No tutorial needed for this one – just put your hair in two loose ponytails and mess them up a bit.

4. The Accent Braids

If you want to wear your hair down when wearing a hat, then this style is perfect for you. All I did was create a few accent braids throughout the hair to add a fun, textured accessory. I also loosened the braids a bit to make them appear more voluminous. Just this simple touch can add a lot to your look.

5. The Lace Braid Side Ponytail

For those of you who know how to french braid, or want to learn, this style is great for you. I created a lace braid on one side and pulled it all into a side ponytail. If you’re wondering what a lace braid is and how you can do it: Lace Braid Tutorial

6. BONUS: The Lazy Girl Hairstyles

If the idea of doing anything to your hair besides throwing it in a ponytail or a messy bun is intimidating to you (or if you are just having a lazy day) then try out a cold weather headband. These headbands keep your ears warm while still allowing you to wear your hair up!

Jamie Kaminer is a member of the NYU class of 2019 studying fashion business and economics in Gallatin.
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein