This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As we see time and again, style trends from years past circle back around and make comebacks in modern fashion. The 90’s gave us The Macarena, Full House, Titanic and other iconic pop culture trends. But lately it seems that the 90’s fashion, specifically wearing your mom’s old, faded Levi’s, have been a hot topic of conversation. To keep you in the loop on the latest fashion, here are some ways to style mom jeans and places to find the perfect pair!

1. Classic

For that perfect vintage look, thrifting a pair of old, faded and washed out Levi Jeans with straight leg is the perfect way to achieve this. Vintage jeans looks best when they are loose fitting, so it’s best to find a size slightly bigger than what you would normally wear. Rolled at the bottom, these jeans pair perfectly with high top converse and adidas sneakers. On top, body suits and tucked in graphic tees are the perfect match to recreate this iconic look. My favorite place in New York to buy these jeans is at a place called No Relations Vintage located on Second Avenue. (The jeans here are only about $10/pair!) It is important to remember that vintage Levi jeans are quite stiff, so sizing is really important. If you find that jeans with little to no stretch don’t work for you, there are still plenty of other options that will click with you!

For a fiery or more modern take on these jeans, try cutting the bottoms off to about where the top of your ankle is and pair it with a funky sock or cute ankle boot to dress the jeans up. Super high waisted Levi’s also look great with a cute crop top in the summer.

2. Edgy

If you have more of an edgy style, there are plenty of ways to still rock mom jeans. Jeans that are black or acid wash add a new, refreshing twist on an old classic. One of my favorite ways to change up this style is to make huge rips in the thigh and calf areas of the jeans and wear black tights underneath them. Styling your jeans this way looks great rolled or cut and paired with Doc Martin boots. I’ve succeeded in finding black and acid washed jeans at vintage stores, but it’s rare. The easiest place to find them is at Topshop, where they have a variety of different styles and fits. These are comparable to Levi’s, but they don’t have the logo on the pocket so keep that in mind.

3. Modern Comfort

If you love the look of mom jeans but hate the feeling of stiff vintage jeans, an off brand jean with a little stretch will work great. Buying new instead of vintage can still give you that same silhouette as older jeans, but at a much higher comfort level. Having a little bit of stretch in the jeans makes them feel more light and cushy. Urban Outfitters has always had vintage jeans in their Urban Renewal section, but more recently they made a light blue mom jean with a little stretch that is the perfect fit.

Not buying from a vintage store is going to be a bit pricier, but if stiff jeans don’t work well with your body type–and you still want the mom jean look–it’ll be totally worth it!

4. Sophisticated

If you’re aiming for a classier or more polished look, mom jeans can still be part of your wardrobe! Mom jeans look chic with a light button down tucked in or a slightly cropped sweater. For shoes, these jeans look very posh with strappy open toed heels, loafers, sandals, or heeled ankle boots. Not to mention, pairing mom jeans with heels and a blazer is a super cool look that is easily transformed from day to night!

Mom jeans have recently become a staple item in girls’ closet’s. They can be styled to fit your own personal style, dressed up or dressed down, and can work for so many different body types. Whether you’re a 90’s kid or not, these trends are making a fashion comeback and might even be here to stay…for a little while at least. Hurry and hop on this trend before the 90’s are out again!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.