jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Things Introverts & Extroverts Can Learn From Each Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’ve ever taken the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, then you know the first letter of your results tells you if you’re more introverted or extroverted. Most people won’t fall completely on either end of the scale, so it’s interesting that we often overgeneralize these personality types. Many people think that being introverted means you’re shy while being extroverted means you’re outgoing, but there’s much more to it than that. There’s also a lot that you can learn from those who fall closer to either end of the spectrum, but before we get into that, let’s define the two terms: introvert and extrovert.

As described by Vocabulary.com, an introvert is someone who gains energy from spending time alone and tends to focus inward on their own thoughts. An extrovert on the other hand, gets their energy from being around others and usually concentrates more on what’s going on in the world around them. Now that you have a better feel for what you might relate to more, here’s what you can learn from each other.

Introverts…Get Out of Your Head!

Sometimes you get so caught up in your thoughts that you may miss opportunities around you. There are so many great ideas floating around your head, but you have to put them into action. Try pouring your thoughts out into a planner, and come up with a few events or activities you can do each week to be more present in your environment. Take a page out of your extroverted friend’s book and start living your life instead of thinking about what you could do.

Extroverts…It’s Ok To Be Alone Sometimes

Whether we’d like to admit it or not, we all put up a mask when we’re with other people. That’s why it’s so important to take the time to get to know yourself. Not only do introverts use their time alone to recharge, they also use it to self-reflect. Try not to view taking some time alone as isolating yourself. Instead view it as an opportunity to learn more about who you are and what you want to accomplish. It’s great to have friends by your side to support you, but learning how to feel confident going about it alone will take some practice.

Introverts…People Make the World Go Round

It’s hard at times to put yourself out there because it can feel a bit draining. However, there are so many benefits you can gain in life just by knowing the right people. Your extroverted friend who can’t walk for five minutes on campus without seeing someone they know? They’re the ones that will reap those benefits. Beyond getting party invites, reaching out to people can lead to an internship, a date for Friday night, or even meeting a great business partner. There’s also a sense of comfort you gain when you can look around and see a familiar face. Push yourself to get out a little more each week and celebrate with some “me time” to recharge.

Extroverts…Curate Your Friendships

While it’s amazing to be able to name half of the people in every class you have, can you really say that you know them? Introverts may not talk to everyone, but they are great at cultivating really close relationships with the few people they choose to let in. Take time to think about the people you vibe with the most, and try to spend more time with them, so you can get to know them better. You’ll often learn more about people in smaller groups of two or three than you would if you were in a larger group.

Keep reflecting on what you admire about the introverts and extroverts in your life and see how you can apply those things to your own growth process!

1/2/3/4

Chelsea is social media inspired senior at NYU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Entertainment Business. In her free time she enjoys saving the environment one thrifting trip at a time, having impromptu photoshoots with friends around the city, and creating content for her blog, Bloomsista.com.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com