3 Ways to Prevent City Pollution From Wreaking Havoc on Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Living in one of the greatest cities in the world unfortunately comes with a hefty price tag: pollution. Car exhaust, flying construction debris, cigarette smoke, even the sun – they’re all invisibly causing visible damage. While we can’t see these tiny particles, environmental pollution wreaks havoc on our skin, causing anything from enlarged pores, irritation, and premature aging, to dullness, discoloration, dryness.

Since this isn’t your 8:00AM biology lecture (thank goodness!), I’ll spare you the details of how exactly this process happens and skip straight to what you can do about it. Skincare! Yes, there are now a myriad of magical potions that can prevent the harmful effects of NYC’s not-so-stellar air quality.

1. Antioxidants

Just as we may take a multivitamin every morning to keep our bodies healthy, giving our skin a daily dose of vitamins topically can help it to strengthen itself from environmental pollutants. Vitamins A, C, E, and green tea are all antioxidants that help fight against the harmful effects of free radicals (think hyperpigmentation – those pesky brown spots – and wrinkles). So, after sipping your morning glass of OJ, slather on a Vitamin C serum like Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum® Vitamin C Anti-Aging Collagen Booster to brighten your complexion.

Staying in for a movie night? Don’t waste the opportunity to get your skin ready for tomorrow’s pollution-filled walk to class! Throw on a face mask while waiting for Netflix to load. We love Origins’ new RitualiTea™ Matcha Madness powder face mask, which harnesses the natural antioxidant power of green tea to calm our complexion. In a small bowl, mix this emerald powder with warm water and apply with fingers or a clean makeup brush.

Not looking to add an extra step to your morning routine? You can still protect your skin from smog, smoke, and the sun while washing. Murad’s Essential-C Cleanser is packed with vitamins A, C, and E to shield your skin as you go about your super-busy day. It also gently exfoliates and smells oh-so citrusy, so go ahead and hit the snooze button one more time.

If you tend to struggle with red, dry, flaky skin, then a face oil is going to become your secret weapon in the war against air pollution. And Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega-Defense Barrier-Boosting Essence Oil was designed to do just that. Apply before bed and wake up with soothing skin.

2. Probiotics

It turns out that the good bacteria that strengthens our stomachs can also strengthen our skin’s barrier. In fact, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, applying probiotics topically can result in clearer skin, and decreased skin sensitivity, redness, and inflammation. This is because probiotics tell our cells to stop releasing inflammatory mediators, which are triggered by external pollutants. Luckily, it’s easy to mix probiotics into your skincare cocktail. We are obsessed with Tula’s Urban Defense Hydrating Mist. It contains two strains of probiotics, plus moisturizing coconut water and calming rose water to immediately protect your skin from environmental toxins. So, you can now, literally, mist your way to perfect skin. Give yourself a spritz before heading down to the subway!

3. Sunscreen

Sunshine isn’t always “sunny” – it can make us look a lot older than we actually are if we don’t shield our skin from its harmful rays. While the sun emits invisible, ultraviolet radiation as UVA, UVB, and UVC rays, we only have to worry about UVA and UVB rays: they are the only ones that can actually penetrate the ozone layer. Phew. But, both of these rays cause photo damage to the skin, which not only raises our risk of getting skin cancer, but also our chances of developing wrinkles and dark spots. So, wearing broad-spectrum SPF every day, even if it’s foggy or raining, is essential in the war against pollution.

Yet, most of us skip putting on sunscreen because it leaves a chalky residue or causes clogged pores. So, many cosmetics companies have created oil-free formulas that both protect your skin from the sun and prime it for makeup. Problem solved! Our favorites? If acne is an issue, try Neutrogena’s Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30.

Tarte’s BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen comes in multiple shades (so you can avoid looking like a ghost), and Cover FX’s Clear Cover Invisible Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is literally invisible. Literally.

Antioxidants, probiotics, and sunscreen. Not exactly ABC, but definitely the ABCs of a skincare routine that shields your skin from New York City’s pollution. Go out, explore, and enjoy all that the city has to offer because now your skin won’t show any signs of the damage.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11  

Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein