3 Simple ways to work out as you get ready in the morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I don’t have time. I have too much homework. I am tired. I don’t want to. I will start tomorrow. Sound like you when you think about working out? If it doesn’t than kudos to you, now for the rest of us it’s time to stop making excuses and start getting ready for summer. Believe it or not spring break marks the middle of the semester at NYU, which means that we only have 7 weeks to get our bodies ready for summer. Unfortunately we cannot wear jeans to the beach so unless you want to hide your body all summer its time to get into shape.

I know we are all busy which is why there is such thing as the Freshman 15. Now after freshman year, the people that did gain the weight don’t just drop fifteen pounds the second sophomore year begins. If you’re like me, making excuses like ‘I go to school in the city and walk everywhere, I’m in shape,’ and you’re not really than its time for a wake up call.

Below are simple ways to get your legs ready for short season and the best part, you have NO excuse not to do them because they can be done while you get ready for class.

1. While you brush your teeth stand with your feet together and raise your heels off of the ground. You are supposed to brush your teeth for two minutes, so see if you can keep raising your heels up and down for the full duration of the time that you brush.

2. While you are in the shower washing your hair keep your knees in line and bring one heel to your butt using the muscles on the back of your thigh. Seems awkward and strange but try to make the movements controlled and clench the muscle as you raise it, it helps to burn more calories. Remember to alternate legs. If you want a little more, while your lifted leg is parallel to the ground and perpendicular to your body, shoot your knee out to the side and bring it back to your body several times to give your side thigh and butt a workout.

3. While sitting at your desk or on a chair eating breakfast raise your toes to the ceiling thus bringing your legs from a 90-degree angle to straight. This works your front thighs. Remember to alternate legs.

These three simple moves will kick start your metabolism in the morning, meaning your body will burn more throughout the day and get you ready to put on those short shorts. These are small things that you can do while you are getting ready, thus not taking any more time out of your day.

I promise to do them if you do!!! With summer rapidly approaching, hopefully we will be in shape from doing these moves soon and actually looking forward to showing off our toned legs. 

My name is Catherine Bartlett and I am from East Hampton, NY. I am a transfer student to NYU and I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus. 
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.