This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

This year, Halloween will be unlike any previous holiday we have seen before, to say the least. While amid a global coronavirus pandemic and the upcoming election is looming over everyone’s heads like a storm, no one will be able to celebrate the scary holiday as they did in previous years. Although this spooky evening will be held indoors, and there may not be much trick or treating or celebrating, it doesn’t mean that we can’t still wear creative costumes and make unforgettable memories. Here are some feminist Halloween costumes that you can rock this upcoming weekend. 

1. Sabrina the Teenage Witch 

This Halloween, dress up as everyone’s favorite witch from the 1990’s hit comedic sitcom, Sabrina the Teenage Witch. This simple costume only requires a good old-fashioned witch hat and 1990’s themed clothing, and a black cat sidekick named Salem. The costume could also be inspired by the new dark reboot of the sitcom, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (on Netflix). 

Nancy Drew 

Next weekend, take pictures with friends dressed up as the iconic 1930’s girl detective, Nancy Drew. This feminist sleuth embodies the idea of girl power, as she solves one mystery after the other and successfully rids her community of crime. Throw on a yellow cardigan, plaid skirt, and purchase a magnifying glass, and Nancy Drew is ready to go out on the town on Halloween night. 

3. Kim Possible 

Dress up as another iconic teenage feminist, Kim Possible. From the Disney cartoon of the same name, this teenage superhero is an easy character to dress up as. Throw on some army green pants and a black shirt, and the costume is complete. 

4. Gloria Steinem 

Dress up as the American journalist and feminist icon Gloria Steinem this Halloween. Recreate that famous picture of her and Dorothy Pitman Hughes encouraging female empowerment and rock the fashion of the 1970s. Throw on a turtleneck and raise a fist, and the costume will be a conversation starter at every party. 

5. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s 

This year, be classy and elegant and dress up as none other than everyone’s favorite movie character, Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Quick-witted, well-dressed, and independent, Holly Golightly is one of Audrey Hepburn’s most famous characters and the easiest to portray. Put on a slim black dress, throw on some pearls, cat-eye sunglasses, kitten heels, and a tiara, and the costume is complete. 

6. Hermoine Granger 

Take pictures dressed as the best Harry Potter character (in my opinion), Hermoine Granger, this Halloween. The original feminist in the wizarding world of Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger is an easy character to portray. Throw on some Gryffindor gear and a wizarding robe, and the costume is complete. 

7. Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

Honor the late Associate Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy this Halloween, and dress up as this fiery feminist. Just throw on a lace collar and some large glasses, and get to writing some fiery dissents promoting women’s rights. This costume will be a hit this Halloween, as everyone loves and misses the Notorious RBG. 

8. Rosie the Riveter 

This Halloween, dress up as the World War II feminist icon, Rosie the Riveter. Put on a red bandana and a blue denim shirt, and the costume is complete. Everyone will recognize Rosie the Riveter, as she is a cultural icon who still symbolizes feminism today. 

9. Elle Woods from Legally Blonde 

Dress up as everyone’s favorite blonde lawyer, Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, this Halloween. Elle Woods is one of the most easily recognizable feminist characters, as she proves herself and tackles every obstacle in her way at Harvard Law School. The costume only requires one thing- endless amounts of pink! Make sure that Elle’s sidekick Bruiser is in tow, and the costume is complete! 

10. Wonder Woman 

Dress up as the ultimate feminist superhero, Wonder Woman this Halloween. Recreate jer classic superhero suit depicted in Wonder Woman (2017) and Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) and have the best Halloween costume at the party. 

11. Veronica Mars 

This Halloween, dress up as Veronica Mars, the teenage detective in the early 2000’s mystery drama TV show Veronica Mars. Throw on some jeans and bring a camera, and everyone will recognize the badass high schooler turned private investigator.  

12. Mrs. Maisel from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 

This Halloween, dress up as Amazon Prime’s star comedian, Mrs. Maisel from the TV show set in 1950’s New York, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. With a black ’50s style bopper dress, a dark brown wig, and kitten heels, the look is complete. Joke about an ex-boyfriend and pose for cute pictures in this stunning look. 

13. Buffy the Vampire Slayer 

Portray everyone’s favorite 1990’s vampire slayer by dressing up as Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer this Halloween. Put on some red leather pants and a black tank top, and make sure to bring a wooden stake (to kill vampires with) and the costume is complete. Black boots and a cross necklace will ward of vampire enemies and make the look even more edgy. 

14. Princess Buttercup from The Princess Bride 

This Halloween, dress up as the feminist princess, Buttercup, from the classic 1987 film The Princess Bride, starring Robin Wright and Cary Elwes. Princess Buttercup doesn’t let any man boss her around and makes sure that she is the one who decides what her fate is to be. Honor everyone’s favorite non-Disney princess and don a bright red dress or a light blue gown, and add a tiara to complete the costume. Dress up as Princess Buttercup with or without a Westley. She has proven that she doesn’t need any man to save her!  

15. Winifred, Sarah, or Mary Sanderson from Hocus Pocus 

Get in the true spirit of Halloween and dress up as one of the iconic Sanderson sisters this year. Choose to dress up as either Winifred, Sarah, or Mary from the classic 1993 witch movie Hocus Pocus and portray some of the funniest, most powerful witches of all time. This can act as a solo costume or a group costume for three powerful women. Put on a bright red, blonde, or black wig (depending on the Sanderson) sister and a witchy dress, and the costume is complete. 

16. The Statue of Liberty 

To be a true New Yorker, dress up as the Statue of Liberty this Halloween and wear a crown for the night. Don a light green frock and get a torch, and the costume is complete! Make sure to have a welcoming smile for all, and honor the mascot of New York City. 

17. Frida Kahlo 

Honor an iconic feminist of color this Halloween and dress up as none other than the famous Mexican painter Frida Kahlo. Paint on her signature unibrow, get a flower crown and wear some bright lipstick, and the look is complete. Use one of her beautiful paintings as a reference, and pay tribute to one of the greatest artists of all time. 

18. Cleopatra 

This Halloween, dress up as the powerful and highly fashionable legendary ruler of Egypt, Cleopatra. Put on some gold jewelry and find the best Egyptian frock to portray the last ruler of the Ptolemaic dynasty. With some heavy eyeliner and gold armbands, the costume is complete. 

19. Joan of Arc 

Portray the famous fifteenth-century heroine of France this Halloween and dress up as Joan of Arc. Also known as The Maid of Orléans, she is most famously known for leading the French army to victory during the Hundred Years’ War. Don some knightly armor and rock a ponytail, and the look is complete. 

20. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice 

This Halloween, dress up as one of the most famous literary heroines of all time, Elizabeth Bennet from Jane Austen’s classic nineteenth-century novel, Pride and Prejudice. To mirror one of Elizabeth’s looks in the 2005 film adaptation of the tale, put on a nineteenth-century style blue dress and wear a low bun. Make sure to have a brown overcoat to wear in the cold English weather, and the look is complete. 

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.