13 Must-Watch Shows for This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

NYU students thrive off of busy, hectic schedules. Whether these schedules are filled to the brim with classes, internship, or work, we somehow seem to be anywhere and everywhere all at the same time. But sometimes, we need a break. And while going out for the night is a definite option, snuggling up in our bed and watching some good old fashioned TV seems like the obvious go-to choice. Here’s a list of some stellar shows to binge on, relax with, but most importantly, to keep an eye out for their new fall premieres!

New Shows To Keep An Eye Out For

Atlanta

Our very own NYU alum Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) stars in this powerful drama about a duo attempting to climb their way up in the Atlanta rap scene. Glover plays Earnest Marks who is set on managing his locally famous cousin, Paper Boi, after quitting a dead-end job. The show sharply narrates their realistic journey, as they also struggle to make ends meet for their family. Think of Girls—but without all of Lena Dunham’s unwarranted whining. Catch the first episode on their Facebook page.

When to Watch: On Tuesdays, 10PM on Fx

This is Us

If you really want a gut-wrenching, soulful dramedy, then this new show will fit right in your alley. While it prominently features Heroes alum Milo Ventimiglia and our favorite 90’s pop princess, Mandy Moore as a couple going through a complicated pregnancy, it also follows an ensemble of various characters navigating through their personal challenges. Better start stocking up on the tissues!

Premiere Date: September 20th, 10/9C on NBC

The Good Place

Created by the same writers who are responsible for Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place features Kristen Bell as the main character in this quirky, cute comedy. A woman who did some pretty bad things during her time on Earth accidentally ends up in pretty good place—Heaven. Ted Danson will be playing the role of her guardian who helps to keep her on the right path.

Premiere Date: September 19th, 10/9C on NBC

West World

Futuristic science fiction and classic Western meet in this new drama starring Evan Rachel Wood. The show is set in a theme park that eerily resembles an old Western town, with participants not realizing they are just playing pieces of a much larger scheme. If you’re into hybrid genres, this is absolutely the show for you.

Premiere Date: October 2nd, 9PM on HBO

Speechless

Minnie Driver stars in this ultimately heartwarming show as an overprotective, feisty mother of three, one of which who has cerebral palsy. The show details their everyday struggles in a light-hearted, yet grounded way. The trailer already seems to be an overall hit with the audience because of its realistic representation of disability. 

Premiere Date: September 21st, 8:30/7:30C on ABC

Shows To Catch Up On: All of these shows are uploaded on Netflix with their most current episodes!

Agents of Shield

This show is the ultimate swan song to the fans of the Whedon brothers and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only does it feature the inner workings of SHIELD, but also includes a whole narrative arc built on Inhumans with awesome superpowers. The show expertly addresses complexities of evil versus good, and the not-so fine line that defines these two forces. (It also gets a huge plus for the diverse cast as well.)

Premiere Date: September 20th, 10/9C on ABC

Gilmore Girls

Lorelei and Rory Gilmore have returned!!! Everyone has been waiting for this moment since the very last scene of the show: the two sipping coffee in Luke’s Diner. Amy Sherman Palladino, the original creator of the show, has promised us a satisfying season perfectly titled Gilmore Girls: Seasons. Fans cannot wait until the day hear their familiar, fast-paced ramblings. Stars Hollow, Connecticut, we’re waiting for a Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving!

Season Premiere Date: November 25th, Netflix

Once Upon a Time

There’s something special about the magical combination of Disney, villains, heroes, melodramatic acting, and of course, flamboyant costumes. What’s not to love about Once Upon A Time? This upcoming season is about to delve into uncharted territories with Jekyll and Hyde entering StoryBrooke. (Oh, and Evil Regina is finally back!) Oncers have been waiting for this moment, and now the Queen is ready for her long-awaited revenge.

Season Premiere Date: September 25th, 8/7C PM on ABC

Superstore

If the finales of legendary workplace comedies like Parks and Recreation and The Office have left a gaping hole in your heart, then watching this show will do a great job of filling it right back up again. Set in a fictional chain superstore (think of your local Walmart), it’s chalk full of awkward moments, deadpan stares, and superb dry humor. All episodes are up on Hulu, and you can sign up for a free week’s subscription. 

Season Premiere Date: September 22nd, 8/7C on NBC

Shows to Binge On Netflix

Sense8

Sense8 is one of the many original Netflix series that are being highly garnered nowadays, and yet it’s barely talked about in mainstream media. The premise is incredibly unique and fresh: eight strangers living in completely different places find themselves connected through a shared psychic ability of sorts. This is the television directorial debut for the famous Wachowski Siblings, and it’s pretty amazing.

Arrested Development

You take celebrated actors (Jeffrey Tambour, Jessica Walters, Will Arnett, and Jason Bateman) and cast them as a part of a highly dysfunctional family: the end product is a brilliantly comedic masterpiece. The show originally aired more than ten years back, but was unfortunately shelved after their third season. But it didn’t take long for it to be revived by Netflix in 2013, and you’ll soon know why. 

Parenthood

A family drama at its very core, the show dives deep into the Braverman family, documenting and detailing love and loss through its six season run. If it’s any motivation, Gilmore Girls alum Lauren Graham stars as a mother of two, fighting through parenthood and sharing her experiences along with her three other siblings (who all have problems of their own.) It’s messy and dramatic, but truly moving.

Broadchurch

Set in a secluded fictional town called Dorset, this crime drama surrounds the case of a young 11 year old boy who was murdered. Each episode only gets a tiny step closer to the real killer, but the ending of the first season is incredibly worth it. Oh, and Doctor Who’s David Tennant stars as the lead if that is an incentive. If you have a thing for suspenseful music, complicated story lines, and quite a few twists and turns, give this a try!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13

Hannah Song is a freshman at NYU Steinhardt currently studying Media, Culture, and Communications. Ever since she was little, she has always been a movie buff. In the future, she hopes to become a successful casting director for major film and television companies.  She is also a self-declared Disney fanatic, and most likely seen singing her heart out to The Little Mermaid. 
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.