13 Must-See Movies for Fall 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We all have that moment where there are tons of movies to watch in theaters, but we don’t know which ones to actually see. Here’s a list of several films (each a different genre) in theaters now or coming out this fall season!

Movies Out Now:

1. Blair Witch

Horror fans, rejoice! The Blair Witch Project’s sequel finally premiered a few weeks ago. After the production team behind the film took great lengths to keep the sequel under secrecy (even by shooting it under the fake title, The Woods), it was a bit of a box office disappointment. On the bright side, you will most definitely be terrified hiking or setting foot into a forest for the next couple of years.

2. The Beatles: Eight Days a Week—The Touring Years

A swan song for all classic rock fans out there, this documentary features some incredible never before seen footage of the iconic band  (yes, the awkward bowl cuts of their early years are very much included). It has unexpectedly become a hit among all ages of viewers, drawing in about $7 million at the worldwide box office within the first couple of weeks. It’s still in theaters, but only for a limited time. If you want to watch it, do it now!

3. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

What happens when you mix Tim Burton’s whimsical and indescribable directorial style and a narrative story about a boy who somehow finds himself (through unexplainable time travel) to a world occupied by children who possess extraordinary, superhuman powers? You get a fantastical film filled with stunning CGI effects and just the right amount of eeriness. Although Burton has gotten himself into a bit of trouble due to the lack of diversity in casting, it’s still a fun watch.

4. Masterminds

Starring Zach Galifianakis, Owen Wilson, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Jason Sudekeis, this heist comedy is based on the 1997 Loomis Fargo Robbery. With the sheer amount of SNL alumnae featured in the film, you would assume it to be sharp and clever. On the contrary, it’s very whacky. Think Ocean’s Eleven, but goofier.

5. The Girl on the Train

If you watched Gone Girl, and loved the sheer amount of betrayal depicted, then this new thriller is the one for you. A film adaption of the popular novel that came out in 2015, it stars Emily Blunt as an emotionally unstable divorcee who believes she has accidentally witnessed the murder of a young woman. What follows is a ton of twists and turns, all for the drama queen in you to enjoy.

6. Mascots

If you loved the shows Parks and Recreation and The Office, Mascots is undeniably for you. A feature length mockumentary, this comedy delves into the competitive world of sports mascots. The best thing about all of this is that you can watch it in the comfort of your own bed since it will premiere on Netflix in a couple of weeks!

Coming Soon:

7. Loving

This poignant, stirring drama stars Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga as Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial married couple in the 1960s. The film follows their emotional journey, as they fight the Virginia law that prohibits them to be married. Based on the 1967 Supreme Court decision of Loving V. Virginia, this powerful film needs to be watched.

Premiere Date: November 4th

8. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange will finally, finally arrive in theaters very soon. Although we still have a solid month, the wait is worth the arrival! Not only will we see Benedict Cumberbatch play a superhero who learns how to kick some ass through martial arts, but we’ll also get to see Rachel McAdams and Tilda Swinton joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe (yay, more women of Marvel!).

Premiere Date: November 4th

9. Arrival

The fascination that Hollywood has with space, aliens and the unknown will never be explained, but Arrival seems surprisingly promising. Amy Adams plays Louisa Banks, a linguist sent to study the new inhabitants of Earth who have arrived via dome shaped spaceships. It is up to her and her team to pacify the delicate situation before anything gets worse than it already is.

Premiere Date: November 11th

10. Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Everyone knows about this, and everyone is incredibly excited to see the universe of Harry Potter grace our screens again—this time in America. Eddie Redmayne will be playing the role of Newt Salamander, a British wizard. While on business leave to meet with an official at the Magical Congress of the United States of America, his suitcase of magical (extremely dangerous) creatures escape. What follows is a wild goose chase and a fight against those who want to eradicate all wizards.

Premiere Date: November 18th

11. The Edge of Seventeen

A classic coming of age film, The Edge of Seventeen tells the story of an awkward teen, as she deals with her stereotypically perfect jock of a brother, a beautiful best friend and an inconsiderate mother. We can relate to this narrative—high school was a weird, awkward time, even for the best of us. And while the premise doesn’t seem all that special, it’s nice to see Hailee Steinfeld get in touch with her acting roots again.

Premiere Date: November 18th

12. Allied

Think of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, replace Angelina Jolie with Marion Cotillard, and you get a high-powered suspenseful thriller about two spies falling in love while on mission during World War II. I’m sorry, was that too soon for Brangelina lovers?

Premiere Date: November 23rd

13. Moana

Our new Disney movie is here! This is the first time a Disney heroine is featured without a love interest. Good riddance—it will distract her from the brave woman she is destined to be. Amazing songs from Hamilton’s Lin Manuel Miranda are to be expected. Amazing graphics are to be expected from Disney studios. And amazing acting from the highly anticipated voice actors is to be expected. Now all we have to do it wait, very impatiently.

Premiere Date: November 23rd

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13

Hannah Song is a freshman at NYU Steinhardt currently studying Media, Culture, and Communications. Ever since she was little, she has always been a movie buff. In the future, she hopes to become a successful casting director for major film and television companies.  She is also a self-declared Disney fanatic, and most likely seen singing her heart out to The Little Mermaid. 
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.