10 Snacks From Trader Joe’s Every College Student Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Calling all fellow foodies! I think we can all agree that the only long line we’re willing to wait in is for the one and only, Trader Joe’s. Whether you live next-door in Palladium or in an East Village walk-up, a trip to TJ’s will never disappoint. Dining in NYC can be costly, especially if you’re stuck to a college budget. TJ’s makes our lives so much easier – quality groceries, super cheap prices, and my personal favorite element, free samples! Read on for some of my must-have products from this amazing supermarket.

​1. Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil

This is the perfect snack to munch on when writing that midterm paper due at 11:59 PM. Much less salty than other popular brands – I’d eat this over movie theater popcorn any day!

2. Assorted Nuts

This is probably my favorite aisle in the store. From ordinary unsalted peanuts to sweet & savory trail mixes, TJ’s deserves a medal for its endless variety. Personally, I highly recommend the Rainbow’s End Trail Mix for a sweet treat and the assorted “Just a Handful” options for a great grab ‘n’ go snack!

3. Almond Butter

This is a primary staple in my Alumni Hall kitchen. I love spreading it on a ricecake in the morning or pairing it with a banana for an afternoon snack. If you’re more health-conscious, go for the unsalted alternative – a delicious source of healthy fat and protein.

4. Frozen Berry Medley

Oftentimes, frozen foods are life-savers for busy college students. This frozen berry mix is perfect to quickly whip up a smoothie or to top a greek yogurt parfait. One package is $3.29, which is way cheaper than purchasing some regular produce options.

5. Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Photo: http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1159

Another one of TJ’s frozen treasures. Not one of the most healthy products, but DEFINITELY one of the most delicious. If you’re looking for a last-minute delicacy to serve when hosting friends, this is the go-to product.

6. Spicy Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips

Looking for chips to pair with that warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip? These chips will satisfy your prayers and spicy cravings. PSA: I find them extremely addicting – a warning for you not to finish the entire bag in one sitting!

6. Dark Belgian Chocolate Covered Almonds (73% Cacao)

I really can’t with these. They’re so good that I have to place it on my highest kitchen shelf to prevent me from finishing them all. Sweet & Salty – what more could you ask for?

7. Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole

For all my fellow Guac-lovers, this will be your new obsession. TJ’s Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole has only two grams of fat and 30 calories per serving – much less than your traditional dip. The name says it all!

8. Organic Banana Chips

The Triple A Threat: Addicting, Affordable, Amazing. For only $2.99, a package of these chips adds the perfect crunch to your morning breakfast cereal or satisfies your midnight snack craving. I recently discovered this treasure and I am obsessed! It’ll definitely be on my shopping list throughout my NYU experience.

9. Speculoos Cookie Butter

You can’t talk about how awesome Trader Joe’s is without mentioning its heavenly Cookie Butter. It’s basically a blend of gingerbread and biscuits with the slightly firmer consistency than Peanut Butter. This is one of TJ’s most popular specialities, and it will definitely not disappoint.

10. Organic Chia Bars

These are my go-to granola bars. I always pack one in my backpack as a snack in between classes. A lot of other granola bars on the market are not as “healthy” as you think – packed with added sugars and preservatives. TJ’s organic chia bars are gluten-free, four grams of sugar, and only 100 calories. Grab a box today for only $2.99!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein