10 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

BY LAURA S. DIAZ

Constantly on the go between jobs, internships, classes, and the remains of our social lives, it can become somewhat complicated to find the time to sit down and read a book of our own choosing, or to watch a show all the way through from the beginning to the credits.

For better or worse, media technologies have evolved and given path to the creation of podcasts. Here are ten suggestions of podcasts to listen to when you’ve got some extra time on your hands or want something to entertain yourself.

1. Thirst Aid Kit:

If you related to the girl who broke her retainer while watching Black Panther, then this podcast is for you. Produced by Buzzfeed, hearing Bim Adewunmi and Nichole Perkins talk about women’s expression in different mediums while questioning film and representation feels like having your girls over for a gossipy update. Bonus: you can listen to it on Spotify.

2. The Daily:

Claiming “this is how the news should sound,” this podcast produced by the New York Times presents the news to readers in an easy to digest, 20 minute daily span. In a fast-paced world, taking the time to understand what is actually happening becomes of greater significance as the days go by, and this show definitely helps you keep up.

3. The Ladygang:

This podcast is like brunch on the go with a new Hollywood A-lister at the table everytime the girls meet. Created by Keltie Knight, Jac Vanek, and Becca Tobin, “Ladygang” is a podcast that tries to find answers to the life questions you’d discuss with your friends on a Saturday morning over avocado toast. Very Sex and the City-esque, but modified to fit the digital world.

4. Modern Love:

You might have heard of their popular college essay contest; now, it’s lifted off the pages and gone audio. The New York Time’s popular column, “Modern Love,” can now be listened to on the go. Their stories of “love, loss, and redemption” are available on Spotify.

5. The Gilmore Guys:

Thrilling as it was talking about the iconic show with your friends, “Gilmore Guys” takes you back to those very moments you so well enjoyed about Lorelai and Rory’s life in Stars Hollow. One of the hosts is a big fan, while the other is new to the show. They review each episode and mix their playlist with conversations featuring a couple of the original cast members.

6. Making Obama:

From the team who created “Making Oprah,” WBEZ Chicago now brings “Making Obama,” a podcast to soothe everyone’s minds when reflecting on the story of the 44th President of the United States. Be it inspiration, historical interest, or just wanting some peace of mind, hearing the man himself chime in on his own story is refreshing to hear nowadays.

7. The New Yorker: Fiction / The New Yorker: Poetry

Both podcasts, “The New Yorker: Fiction” and “The New Yorker: Poetry,” present interesting readings and discussions about literature. Definitely for the bookworm on the move who wants to take a breath and get an (audible) read between errands.

8. The Bechdel Cast:

Three properties compose the Bechdel Test: in a film, book, show, etc., there a) needs to be at least two women in it, who b) talk to each other about c) anything other than a man. The passing of this test can help determine some measurement of gender equality in works of fiction. This podcasts focuses on just that; going on its second year, “The Bechdel Cast” discusses women’s portrayal in popular films.

9. Museum Archipelago:

Described as an “audio guide through the landscapes of museums,” this podcasts takes its listeners on a trip around the globe, discussing the ever-changing spaces museums are. History, art, landscaping, and the questioning of social interactions in museums are discussed, taking you to Iceland in one episode, and then to Bulgaria in the next without ever having to leave your dorm.

10. Fresh Air:

Probably one of NPR’s most long-standing shows, this podcast has been running since 2014. Composed of interviews with celebrities, reviews, commentaries about identity politics, and current affairs, “Fresh Air” provides its listeners with an array of conversations that entertain the audience while reflecting on what happens around us.

We hope these suggestions inspire you to put in your headphones and get lost in the auditory world of a new podcast. Happy listening!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.