alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 NYC Apartment Hacks to Make the Most Out of Your Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Apartment hunting in New York is more than stressful. If you’re looking to adjust your expectations and avoid disappointments, crowded spaces and trips to the laundromats are realistically your safest best. But wait…don’t let your Pinterest dreams die just yet!  Follow these tips to make your space insta-worthy, affordable and easy to get around.

1. Mirrors

This is a great way to create the illusion of a bigger space. Mirrors can be expensive, but going for frameless options can help you create an edgy and unique look to your place. Check out this one from Target.

2. Rugs

On top of making your room cozy and warm, rugs can section off your living spaces without taking up any extra room. Put one under your couch and set the parameters of your living area.

3. Furniture to separate rooms

If you do have a little extra room, invest in a piece of furniture to better separate your space. Having something as simple as a narrow table or a couch with its back turned will do the trick. Also, keep in mind that multi-purpose furniture will always be the best bet when working with a tight squeeze.

4. Curtains

Longer curtains create the illusion of a wider wall, and might just help transport you from your NYC pad to your Genovia palace.

5. Under-the-Bed Storage

Don’t make the mistake of buying a low profile bed frame. Once you realize all the storage you just have, your bed being cute is just not going to cut it. Use this extra space for suitcase storage, extra drawers and a way to avoid getting judged on your mess when you have last minute visitors.

6. Plastic Drawers

If you do have closet space, make sure to maximize your storage. Inserting plastic drawers inside your closet will eliminate the need for another bulky dresser squeezed into the space you just don’t have.

7. Decorations

Don’t let your space problem keep you from decorating your apartment. Movie posters and pictures are always a fun and a simple way to keep your space fun and make it your own! For cool artwork that won’t break the bank, check out Wayfair.

8. Shelves

Whatever room it may be, shelves are a great way to save space and still add storage. Whether you use it for spices, make-up, or decorations, this is a foolproof way to take maximum advantage of your space.

9. Hooks

Ditch the coat-hanger and add hooks to your entryway to facilitate hanging essentials like your coat and keys. This will help keep your place decluttered but still functional! Hooks can also be lifesavers in the kitchen, the bathroom, and wherever else the Monica within you may desire.

10. Over-the-Toilet Bathroom Shelves

Bathroom storage can be a serious hassle, especially when you have four roommates and half a shelf to work with. Storage that goes over the toilet will be utilizing the space that would be wasted otherwise… your makeup will finally have a real home! Now, roll up those sleeves and get ready to revamp your own safe haven in the middle of this concrete jungle.

Images courtesy of Pexels: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com