10 Movies Every Fashionista Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

1. The Devil Wears Prada

In this comedic drama, the beautiful Anne Hathaway plays Andy, an aspiring journalist on a journey to find the open door that will launch her career. In a time of desperation, Andy accepts a job as an assistant to the editor of Runway Magazine. The boss lady, Miranda Priestly, is played by the iconic Meryl Streep. The movie shows the growth of the rocky relationship between a fashionable and classy, yet shady and intimidating, boss and her sore thumb of an assistant. Will Andy sell her soul for the fashion world? Has Emily Blunt ever been more fabulous? Watch to find out! (Spoiler: Emily Blunt is always fabulous).

2. The Great Gatsby

Serving ultimate 20’s slayage, The Great Gatsby can never go out of style.

3. Lolita

Lolita was originally a novel written in 1955 by Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov. The 1997 dark comedy drama film version of the book was directed by Adrian Lyne is more true to the book than the first adaptation that premiered in 1962. Costume designer Judianna Makovsky put together outfits for Lolita that we wear today when we want to look chic and/or vintage. I believe Lolita inspired many pieces we wear today, from the off the shoulder tops to the sailor high waisted shorts. If you aren’t too taken aback by the fact that a grown man marries a woman to love and pursue a sexual relationship with her tween aged daughter, then you can definitely draw some fashion inspiration from this film.

4. Mahogony

Diana Ross is gorgeous, the clothes are gorgeous and the story is so inspirational. A struggling fashion student from Chicago puts herself through fashion school, and becomes a top fashion designer.

5. Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Everything about this film screams fashion, from Audrey Hepburn’s famous black Givenchy haute couture dress, to her hats, jackets, and those alligator pumps. The movie, however, isn’t about fashion at all. It’s about Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) battling the “mean reds” the name given to a feeling of being afraid, but not knowing what you’re afraid of. Holly lives under the impression that she doesn’t belong to anyone, and no one belongs to her. IN other words, she’s afraid to love something because she thinks nothing good lasts. Therefore, meeting Paul Varjak (George Peppard), the hot new neighbor who falls for her, is very overwhelming for Holly.

P.S. I recommend watching every Audrey Hepburn movie or any movie with Edith Head as the costume designer. You’ll thank me later.

6. In Vogue: The Editor’s Eye

This is a must watch documentary. It is literally 90 minutes of the best fashion stories and advice from all Vogue editors in history. Do yourself that favor!

7. Clueless

Clueless is the ultimate 90’s teen fashion movie hands down. If you have seen clueless, you know that American Apparel would be Cher’s closet. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the movie, it’s about a teenage girl experiencing teenage girl things; such as dating, high school, teachers, and an overprotective dad. Despite all the drama, Cher (Alicia Silverstone) survives it with her best friend, Dionne (Stacey Dash). Mona May, the costume designer, has created outfits that are so relevant today. There is no wonder why Iggy Azalea recreated some Clueless outfits in her video for “Fancy,” we still aren’t tired of the bright, structured yet feminine, schoolgirl look.

8. All About Eve

You will absolutely love the evening wear in this old Hollywood film. Showing elegance at it’s finest, All About Eve is about a bold, yet twisted woman who renames herself Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter). Eve is an aspiring actress who makes it to the big time by befriending a famous actress, Margo Channing (Betty Davis). All is good and well until we realize that Eve is lowkey plotting to take Margo’s life for her own. There are gowns, cigars and everything is complemented with a fur coat. All About Eve keeps 1950’s fashion alive.

9. Sex and City (All three movies)

The title says it all. I feel like this goes without saying, but Sex and the City, the series and the movies, showcase some of the best fashion the world has ever seen on a TV series. Sex and the City wouldn’t be the same without the quartet’s fashion sense. From Chanel and Hermes Birkin bags, to Manolo Blahnik shoes, and shopping in Chelsea, Sex and the City will, without a doubt make you swoon.

10.  B.A.P.S

The Baps, starring Halle Berry and Natalie Desselle-Reid, definitely showed bomb streetwear. Today we still rock jumper and bustier tops, and even found ways to dress them up.

Images: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.