This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

This month is Women’s History Month, and it has been my goal to celebrate iconic female figures in history and learn more about the legacies they left behind. By watching TV shows, documentaries, and reading, I have tried to learn more about women who paved the way for us today, including Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Harriet Tubman, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, and countless others. I have also tried to expand my knowledge about feminists in various industries today, who are doing their best to make a difference in this world and uplift girls and women. In honor of Women’s History Month, here are some great documentaries on several streaming platforms that you can watch with friends or for a night-in on your own. 

Diana: In Her Own Words (Disney+) 

This documentary, released in August of 2017, is about none other than the people’s princess, Princess Diana of Wales. Unlike any other documentary previously made about the beloved English royal, this one is, as the title suggests, entirely in her own words. The dialogue that makes up the 112-minute film was from recordings that writer and journalist Andrew Morton used to write the book (published in 1992) about Diana of the same name. The film is a complete autobiography of Diana. It delves into her life before being a royal, during her time, and after it.  Diana discusses her experiences with an eating disorder, heartbreak, motherhood, and more. This documentary is not one to miss. Stream this heartbreaking and fascinating documentary on Disney+. 

RBG (Hulu)

This documentary documents the life of Supreme Court Justice, the Notorious RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsburg). Directed by Julie Cohen and Betsy West, the film was released in 2018, two years before Justice Ginsberg’s passing, and documents her life growing up, attending Cornell and Harvard Law, and serving on the United States Supreme Court. This movie is both inspiring and enlightening and is not one to miss. Stream this documentary today on Hulu. 

Ariana Grande: excuse me, I love you (Netflix) 

Showing behind-the-scenes clips of pop queen Ariana Grande’s legendary world tour for her album Sweetener in 2019, this documentary gives fans an inside look into this pop star’s life on the road. Released in 2020, this film features the music and performances of Grande and shows us how she prepared for one of her iconic concerts. This film is available to stream on Netflix. 

Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry (Apple TV)

This recently released and heavily praised documentary depicts pop singer-songwriter Billie Eilish’s rise to fame alongside her singer/producer brother, Finneas. Featuring home videos and behind-the-scenes clips from Eilish’s early singing career to her performances at Coachella and the Grammy Awards, the film shows what it was like to become an internationally known star at just 15 years old. This documentary is available to stream on Apple TV. 

Taylor Swift: Miss Americana (Netflix) 

Directed by Lana Wilson, this documentary released in January of 2020 is about one of the most notable singer-songwriters of the 21st century, Taylor Swift. Featuring backstage and concert footage, this film tells the story of Swift’s childhood, rise to fame, and current projects. The movie documents the period in her life from 2018-2019 through the release of her album Lover. Miss Americana not only showcases Swift’s career but also shows her role as a feminist and voice for women. Stream this documentary today on Netflix.

Knock Down the House (Netflix) 

Directed, written, and produced by Rachel Lears, Knock Down the House follows the 2018 congressional primary campaigns of four progressive Democrats, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush, and Paula Jean Swearengin. Released at Sundance Film Festival in January of 2019, the documentary that is a little over an hour-long depicts politicians who were aiming to beat out long-term incumbents. This film is available to stream on Netflix. 

Gaga: Five Foot Two (Netflix) 

Directed by Chris Moukarbel, this 2017 released documentary follows the life and music career of pop music icon Lady Gaga. Displaying both the personal and professional aspects of her life, Gaga: Five Foot Two provides audiences with a behind-the-scenes look into Gaga’s life as she released her fifth studio album Joanne and performed the halftime show at the Super Bowl LI. The film includes cameos from Gaga’s family and other prominent musicians, including Florence Welch, Tony Bennett, Brian Newman, producer Mark Ronson, and fashion icon Donatella Versace. Stream this documentary on Netflix today. 

Becoming (Netflix) 

The documentary Becoming depicts former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama and delves into Obama’s life prior to her work as the First Lady, during, and after. Based on her book of the same name released in 2018, the film also features footage of Obama’s book tour, work in the White House, and talk-shows. This movie is available to stream on Netflix. 

HΘMΣCΘMING: A Film by Beyoncé (Netflix) 

This Netflix documentary/concert film is about the process of creating and executing singer-songwriter, dancer, and actress Beyoncé’s iconic 2018 Coachella performance. This film gives a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of the Coachella performance and highlights how the Queen Bee wanted to incorporate black history and women’s rights in her show and inspire her audiences to fight for both black rights and women’s rights. This movie will make everyone want to sing and dance along to the incredible performance. HΘMΣCΘMING: A Film by Beyoncé is available to stream on Netflix. 

I Am Greta (Hulu) 

Released in 2020, I Am Greta is a documentary on Hulu that tells the story of Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg. Thunberg, who began fighting to end climate change at the age of 15, has gained worldwide renown for her efforts to promote activism in saving the planet. Directed by Nathan Grossman, this documentary has gained critical acclaim and is available to stream on Hulu.   

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu