10 Fun Ways to Celebrate Halloween Indoors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

For many college students, Halloween weekend consists of dressing up and going out with friends. But what if you want to stay in and still celebrate Halloween? Here are 10 fun ways to enjoy Halloween while staying indoors!

1. Have a spooky, boozy film night

Invite all your friends over to come hang in their PJ’s and have a horror movie marathon. Don’t forget to get flavoured vodka and gummy bears for those of you who prefer rom-coms over horror! And if you don’t know where to start, here’s a list to help you out!

2. Tell scary stories

Invite your friends over and take turns retelling your favourite horror story OR borrow a book of haunted tales and read it out loud! If you’re lost and need a good book start with, try Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.

3. Make treats

Bake a ton of spooky treats for the trick or treaters! Here’s some inspiration for those of you who need help in the baking department:

4. Try on spooky makeup

Try on some ghostly makeup for fun, or call your friends over and paint each others faces for a good time. Refer to these spooky makeup tips and have fun!

5. Play around with the Ouija board

Who knows, maybe you’ll find some much needed answers?

6. Get drunk on candy (literally)

Just substitute candy for alcohol! After all, who doesn’t want to stuff their face with a mouthful of jelly beans? Here’s a list of some mind-blowing drinking games

7. Carve pumpkins

Carve some gorgeous pumpkins and set them on your window so all the world can see your kick-ass design skills! And if you’re a first timer here’s a link to help you out!

8. Go indoor scavenger hunting

Set up a halloween scavenger hunt in your house with spooky clues and candy! Here’s some ideas for you to start with.

9. Have a house party

Throw a house party for your closest friends! Who needs to go out when you can have the same amount of fun indoors? Here are some halloween-themed games to include in your party.

10. Do nothing!

AND FINALLY, if none of these ideas appeal to you, there’s always the idea of ordering a ton of takeout and having some me time by yourself, Gilmore Girls style.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Nishka Dhawan is an NYU alumnus. She graduated with a double major in Psychology and Journalism and has been a freelance writer and blogger ever since. She's written for CNN Underscored, Mogul, and most recently started working as a tech writer for Digital Trends. When she's not writing you can find her nestling in with a good book while listening to her favorite tunes. Reach out to her at nishka1997@gmail.com to share your controversial opinions and stories.         
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.