10 Dorm Room Activities for When It’s Too Cold Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

So it’s a Saturday night and you’re super pumped to take on the city…until you look at the below freezing weather forecast. There is absolutely no way you are heading out into the tundra, especially in a dress and heels. No club event or frat party is that important. While you might be hating on the icebox weather, there is no reason for a cozy stay at home night in your dorm room needs to be a drag. Here are some eventful ideas for winding down that will make you want to grab your floormates and get ready for a girls night in:

1. Have a spa night

Sure, your dorm room may not be the Four Seasons Hotel, but a little pampering can still go a long way. So what are you waiting for? Put your facial on and cue the gossip. Maybe even redo that ancient pedicure that you still have on from last semester. Your face and your nails will thank you.

2. Have a Wine Wednesday…or a wine any day…

Let me tell you, there is nothing more relaxing than a night in (not out) with your floormates and a box of wine (or a bottle if you’re feeling extra classy). Nothing creates that special bond among a group of people better than that fourth or fifth glass of red wine.

3. Become the Buzzfeed tasty chef you’ve always wanted to be

Granted, there is little that can be achieved with only a microwave and a mini fridge, but don’t give up just yet. A little bit of research and a lot of determination can probably get you to at least a warm mug cake. If all else fails, settle on some buttery popcorn or Easy Mac.

4. Color to your heart’s content!

Embrace your inner child and spend a night with a box of assorted colored pencils. The elaborate designs of an adult coloring book might be just what you need to soothe your mind. Caution: While these books or online printouts can be fun for a bit, too much time coloring will probably make you want to color the whole page black and call it quits.

5. Be your suite’s interior designer!

With the help and permission of your suitemates, be creative and have fun with a little bit of a renovation. This can involve relocating some furniture or even just switching around your pillows. You never know what you will gain from a new perspective of the same old room.

6. Two words: Netflix marathon

There is no such thing as “too much TV.” Take advantage of your time warm and snuggled up, and start that series you’ve always wanted to watch. If you think you’re updated and all caught up on the latest shows, flip to the kids section and experience some major childhood throwback. Nothing like a classic Disney film to have you feelin’ all the nostalgic feels.

7. Makeover time!

Get ready for your golden Princess Diaries moment. With the help of your girlfriends, try out the latest contouring methods and nail art trends. While you may never achieve the glam result you had pictured in your mind, half the fun is in the attempt itself!

8. Create a new drinking game!

Remember those drinking games you always find on the Web and eventually decide are too complicated? Well, now you actually have the time to come up with your very own. Soon you’ll be playing True American just like the cast of New Girl.  Go put on those warm pajamas and drink up!

9. Learn a new dance!

How exciting would it be when you go clubbing and you can actually dance to a song? (Note: ‘dance’ doesn’t include awkward clapping or waving around the peace sign.) No better way to be fierce (or embarrassing) than for your whole squad to dance in unison. Hundreds of tutorials exist on Youtube already, so start practicing!

10. Go to sleep early

You deserve it.

Jamie Kaminer is a member of the NYU class of 2019 studying fashion business and economics in Gallatin.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.