10 Brilliant Off-Broadway Shows to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

What do Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen have in common? You either need to spend your life savings to afford tickets or wait an eternity to snatch some seats. But watching these phenomenal shows isn’t the only way to have an extraordinary theater experience. Off-Broadway shows, produced by nonprofits and theater companies like The Public Theatre, New World Stages, and Signature Theatre, can be masterful works of art that critics applaud and theater enthusiasts re-watch. Not only are Off-Broadway shows affordable, they’re also the perfect way to immerse yourself in the New York arts scene.

1. Avenue Q

“Avenue Q” depicts the lives of struggling adolescents striving to pursue their aspirations whilst living in the Big Apple. The characters, portrayed as puppets, are brought to life by an exceptional cast. The musical delves into issues concerning love, dedication, commitment, and sex. “Avenue Q,” a Tony Award winning Broadway show, continues to inspire the audience in its Off-Broadway production.

New Worlds Stage, Book by Jeff Whitty, Music and lyrics by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx, Directed by Jason Moore.

2. In & Of Itself

Do you like magic? Illusion? Most importantly, do you want to find out who you really are? “In & Of Itself” uses tricks and deception to force a self-evaluation of the way others perceive you. Upon entering the theater, you must choose a card labelled with an identity, such as paralegal, engineer, dreamer, or VIP. According to TimeOut, you should “choose wisely” because by the end of the show, “everyone in the theater may discover how they see themselves.”

Daryl Roth Theatre, Written and performed by Derek DelGaudio, Directed by Frank Oz.

3. Miss You Like Hell

Beatriz, a mother and undocumented immigrant living in fear of deportation, finally has the opportunity to spend time with her daughter, Olivia, after years of separation. They set forth on a cross-country road trip, coming across colorful and eccentric characters with unique backgrounds and ambitions. This musical proves to be pertinent under the current administration, making this Off-Broadway production especially riveting for those with an impassioned interest in politics.

La Jolla Playhouse, Book and Lyrics by Quiara Alegría Hudes, Music and Lyrics by Erin McKeown, Directed by Lear deBessonet.

4. Oedipus El Rey

“Oedipus El Rey” is the famed Greek tragedy by Sophocles re-imagined in modern day Los Angeles. The original premise of Oedipus remains the same, a prince destined to murder his father and wed his mother, however, this Off-Broadway production prompts us to consider the importance of individual narratives, real or fake. The New York Times argues these stories help us to “voice less comfortable truths”.

Public Theater, Written by Luis Alfaro, Directed by Chay Yew 

5. Office Hour

Dennis is every teacher’s least favorite student. Except maybe Gina’s, his hopeful English teacher. She’s the only one who is able to look past his entirely black attire and silently frightening demeanor. Gina believes she’s capable of transforming Dennis– she treats him like an adult and constantly pushes him to reshape himself through his writing. The play shows us that we’re not destined to any single identity and that we have the power to change ourselves.

Public Theater, Written by Julia Cho, Directed by Neel Keller.

6. Jesus Hopped the ‘A’ Train

Angel is about to be put on trial for murdering Reverend Kim, the leader of a cultish religious organization. He befriends Lucius, a serial killer reborn again, while spending custody hours in a jail yard cage. “Jesus Hopped the ‘A’ Train” provokes us to question the criminal justice system and contemplate the relationship between morality, law, and religion.

Signature Theatre,  Written by Stephen Adly Guirgis, Directed by Mark Brokaw.  

7. People, Places & Things

Emma, a drug addict and aspiring actress, wants to change the course of her life. She admits herself into rehab and undergoes a 12-step recovery program that actually hinders her battle against her addiction. The Wrap calls the show “a raw, heartbreaking and truthful performance about life spinning recklessly out of control.” We can all relate to Emma, because sometimes, we let our own lives inevitably whirl into chaos.

St. Ann’s Warehouse, Written by, Duncan MacMillan, Directed by Jeremy Herr.

8. Torch Song

“Torch Song,” features Michael Urie as Arnold, a drag queen in New York, and Academy Award winner Mercedes Ruehl as Ma. When Ma visits Arnold from Miami, they finally confront frustrations that have been long overlooked. The show is structured as a progression of Arnold’s life, as he tackles love, loss, his identity, and fatherhood. Deadline claims “Torch Song” is “in its heart and soul it’s a family values show” that captivates the audience “[for] all the glitter and dark-of-night transactions and revelations”.

Tony Kiser Theatre, Written by Harvey Fierstein, Directed by Moisés Kaufman.

9. Drunk Shakespeare

“Drunk Shakespeare” is not your typical theatrical production. It’s set in a hidden library where members of “The Drunk Shakespeare Society” convene. They perform Shakespeare’s classic tales, but only after one of them has had at least 5 shots of whiskey. It’s inevitably hilarious as one drunk performer attempts to recite Shakespearean while the sober keep the show going. The New York Times remarks “alcohol isn’t the main character. It’s more like an enabler, allowing the actors (sober and drunk) to take all sorts of liberties with Shakespeare, but skillfully.”

Roy Arias Stages, Directed by David Hudson.

10. A Christmas Carol

As the holidays approach, “A Christmas Carol” is perfect for the festive season. John Kevin Jones portrays Dickens himself narrating the the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge as he’s visited by different ghosts. It’s a story of his transformation from cold and bitter to warm-hearted and compassionate. Out Traveler applauds Jones’s “richly evocative” storytelling which makes the audience feel like they’re “simply listening to someone tell them a story.” The Merchant’s House Museum. Directed by Rhonda Dodd.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Fareeha is majoring in Economics and Public Policy at CAS and only has two more years to go at NYU! Originally, she’s from Bangladesh, a country known for its breathtaking natural beauty and torrential monsoon rains. But she spent a few years in the hot, humid climate of Dubai and on the coastal city of Jakarta. On Her Campus, she writes what she's passionate about; everything from crazy politics to pop culture.
My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.