Life > Experiences

University/College Fests – How to crack the code?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NU chapter.

Edited by: Khushi Singh

Be it IIT Delhi’s Rendezvous, IIT Bombay’s Mood Indigo, or NIIT University’s IngeNUity or siNUsoid, we enter an arena of college fests as soon as we join any university to pursue our education. Now that they are infamously referred to as “student-led organizations,” you might wonder how we actually organize a college or university fest that hosts people from different colleges and universities and comes up with competitions and prize pools?

You are just a student (one burdened with responsibilities, but still), and everything that you will do will and should be for enjoyment. Do not fret a lot, hope that you have a good team, and enjoy the process.

Rule number one: fill out the volunteer forms for EVERY FEST available at your institution. Here you will get a basic idea of how different fests work in distinct ways and be able to select the one you thrive in the most.

Now every fest has its own legacy…  meaning that if you become one of those people who work blindly for one organization, you will have zero respect left (speaking facts here!).

Rule number two: find your niche. Now that you are in teams, find the one thing you excel at the most. It can be marketing, design, sponsorship, or literally anything from the teams that are offered to you.

Rule number three: start building contacts. Talk…just that. Talk to anyone and everyone you meet. Make friends and build contacts. Help them when they need it, and you will get help when you need it (trust me, you will need help based on experience).

Rule number four (applicable to universities in North India) is to learn Hindi. The more you know and converse in this language, the more discounts you will get for everything that you deal in.

And coming to the last rule, enjoy yourself. You are just a student (one burdened with responsibilities, but still), and everything that you will do will and should be for enjoyment. Do not fret a lot, hope that you have a good team, and enjoy the process. The moment the fest ends, there is this big hollow space that forms in your heart and your daily schedule, which would be there forever, and you would miss working for the fest you worked in; so just enjoy and live in the moment.

The time you will spend in college is one that will go quickly and never come back. Cherish it, enjoy it, and create as many memories as you can!

The definition of chaos is chaotic, and that's my life.