oscar 2103653 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 2103653 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

All you need to know about Naatu-Naatu’s oscar win

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NU chapter.

Do you know Naatu?

Because if not, you are about to

On March 12, 2023, at the Academy Awards held in Hollywood’s Dolby Theatres in California, history was scripted when RRR’s Naatu Naatu soundtrack by MM Keeravani was awarded the Best Original Song Award.

The song competed against ‘Applause’ from Tell It Like A Woman, ‘Hold My Hand’ from Top Gun: Maverick, ‘Lift Me Up’ from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and ‘This is Life’ from Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Naatu-Naatu was also performed on the Oscars stage by Rahul Sipligunj and Kaala Bhairava, while Deepika Padukone who was appreciated for looking absolutely stunning and elegant, introduced the performance, which received a standing ovation at the ceremony.

The win made ‘Naatu-Naatu’ the first song from an Indian movie to win an oscar. Notably, the song also won Golden Globes for the best song earlier this month, which made RRR the first Indian film to receive a Golden Globe. The song is composed by music director MM Keeravaani, and sung by Kala Bhairava and Rahul Sipligunj, with lyrics by Chandrabose, and choreographed by Prem Rakshit.

The honour was accepted by composer Keeravani and lyricist Chandrabose. “I grew up listening to The Carpenters and now here I am with Oscars. There was only one wish on my mind, so was Rajamouli’s and our families… ‘RRR’ has to win… Pride of every Indian… must put me on the top of the world,” Keeravani said in the melody of The Carpenters’ 1970s song Top of the World.

Soon, after the news made headlines, Twitter erupted with joy and appreciation for the song, making it the most trending tagline of the day, some of which have been attached below;

While this might just be the beginning of Indian culture domination at the greatest level, we can’t stop Naatu-Naatu-ing our way through the celebrations!

I am Megha, and as the poet would say - I exist.